What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Thanks Spud, I'll probably go Golf next time I guess although this piston hasn't imploded yet! *touches wood*

Put a bar and chain on it today. Running really well now, very very pleased with it. Can't wait to use it in anger...

:thumbup:

If your cylinder is shot, then you are in real trouble as there are no aftermarket cylinder kits for this saw:thumbdown: you can fit the original OEM parts but they are real expensive:thumbdown: Pistons are available!

Now some good news, I may be able to salvage the cylinder, I did one some time earlier in this same thread for a member on this site - is the cylinder scored or has it just got aluminium transfer on it? If you can get a picture up or PM me, I may be able to get the saw going for a far lower cost than fitting the OEM P&C - look at my erlier posts on this thread - it will give you some idea of what is achievable:thumbup:

Hi Spud

Forgot to say thanks for your advice. I mentioned to the guy looking at this for me about the ally transfer, and he was able to salvage the cylinder. Supplied him with a golf piston for about £25 and said to use the original clips.

All working fine, and the best bit is I paid in wood, so only cost me £25 - result!!

Cheers....Al

Hi Spud

Forgot to say thanks for your advice. I mentioned to the guy looking at this for me about the ally transfer, and he was able to salvage the cylinder. Supplied him with a golf piston for about £25 and said to use the original clips.

All working fine, and the best bit is I paid in wood, so only cost me £25 - result!!

Cheers....Al

No worries Al, sounds like a good deal and pretty much the same as I did to one of the members MS880 on this site.

Hope you managed to find the route cause for the original seizure, it is always important to do this otherwise the new piston will go the same way:thumbdown:

The one I did was down to the carb being adjusted as per the decal on the side of the air box but the only problem was that this was done with the limit caps off - the true setting was 1 & 1 on the H&L and not 1/2 on the H screw.

Hope it all works out and glad my advice has given your saw a new lease of life and for minimum cost:thumbup:

Had a Stihl 066 today with report of erratic behaviour, especially on the horizontal cut. Had a good inspection of the inlet boot using a pencil beam torch and saw a small nick in the edge of one fold. Replaced the boot (and the impulse line for good measure). Seems fine now. I guess the AV movement allowed enough flex to open the hole. (you can just see the yellow showing through on the picture)

Another saw (a 360) was playing up. This was due to the plug in the bottom picture. I see plugs like this several times a year, which is why I always change them on a service.

P6050014.JPG.c7ad34150cf6d93079728d124053ae82.JPG

P6050018.JPG.82b393c54f31b303094e1347828a533a.JPG

P6050016.JPG.452f311bb634ed244f64c5ef0babe6f9.JPG

Another saw today was this 038 AVS with reported starting issues. I have serviced this for years and it is seldom used. It started fine for me with the first 'burb' on the 6th pull as always. It turns out that the owner, who is no longer a young man, was losing the strength to get a decent pull and actually did not need the saw, so I bought it from him as my 35 yr old Partner 55 has about expired through neglect (I know!)

I promise to look after this one!

P6050024.JPG.16107b1a53e659f3f391be70b040eb89.JPG

P6050023.JPG.0acca7802551dc22d3c019b3cd18bcab.JPG

P6050022.JPG.2e6f0c4c92765e13f7748aa9e05b8552.JPG

That 038 looks like one really abused machine:lol: should last another 30 years doing a bit of firewood!

Been doing a bit of DIY on the house and it is curtailing my saw fixing, got an MS200T on the bench, one of mine and it needs a bit of TLC as it is low on compression but that will be sorted.

The DIY - palstering the kitchen ceiling as it was artexed, new spotlights, coving, painting the walls, new flooring and skirting - deep joy!

thats a clean 038 nice :thumbup1:

iv always fancyed one of them but the magnum

looks like someone has tryed to do the jubile clip up on that 66 and put the screew driver throught the carb boot

The 038 was that clean when it came in, and always was. I did not pay much for it but he was happy. I will probably sell it on when the novelty wears off. I dont really need it at home myself.

The screwdriver thing with the 066 sounds feasible, but the team who own it always bring their saws to me for repair, only doing basic service themselves, so I dont see anyone sticking a screwdriver in there. If the gap were a little bigger I would blame a mouse. maybe a very tough baby mouse with dwarfism. ( well, its more likely than them doimg their own tinkering:lol:)