What's on your bench today?

spudulike

compression seems to be ok - still seems good to pull over, thats all i can gauge on.

its the first ever carb i have done so no guarantees i cleaned it right - just with airline, brake cleaner and then carb cleaner but all guessing i did it ok!

low hrs machine as i only use in own garden so not abused by folks.

fresh ish petrol, no more than a few weeks old and splitter is running on same age stuff fine so guess thats ok.

new plug, new fuel filter. air filter looks clean.

and thats the limit of what i know to check or how to check it.

any guesses on where i can get a new carb?

quite sad as its been a cracking machine since day one

cheers

aberdeenshire, found a genuine makita carb but eeeek the price! with it being a walbro i hoped could get before makita put their stamp on it to make me less broke

Get the number of the carb if it's a Walbro and just get the same from eBay for a fifth of the price. You might have to wait for delivery but it's better than being bankrupted.

Got our MS261 back from the dealers and although it was still running (to his amazement) he said the crank and bearings had gone. £190 for the crank + labour and vat so that's going to cost £300 ish to put it right.

Does anyone know of a better alternative to get it going again?

Get the number of the carb if it's a Walbro and just get the same from eBay for a fifth of the price. You might have to wait for delivery but it's better than being bankrupted.

If you get the same basic carb body, you may be able to swap the throttle and choke valves and rods over.

Probably worth boiling the carb in a US cleaner before lobbing it!

Got our MS261 back from the dealers and although it was still running (to his amazement) he said the crank and bearings had gone. £190 for the crank + labour and vat so that's going to cost £300 ish to put it right.

Does anyone know of a better alternative to get it going again?

If the crank shaft has been damaged and the area around the clutch needle bearing is now undersize, there isn't much that can be done.

If the crank shaft has been damaged and the area around the clutch needle bearing is now undersize, there isn't much that can be done.

Thanks..... Are the other bits worth anything to anyone?