What's on your bench today?

spudulike

With these carbs they have over 1 turn setting on each, but the x-torq engines seem to throw a lot of fuel into the engine

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Noticed this when I first got it, now I know the knack of starting it, it doesn't flood as much.

Splined round - http://www.4husqvarna.ro/fotky8943/fotov/_ps_4HUSQVARNA-135-IPL.pdf

Hope this helps - go easy on the H screw, if you don't have the correct setting or a tach then I would set to 1& 3/4 turns out and screw in until the revs clean up but don't soar and then look at the plug colour after a few big cuts. Coffee brown is good:thumbup:

The saw should "Fourstroke" a little on the top end and clear during cutting.

Been very busy as always, lots of kit flowing and ebbing:001_rolleyes:

Just rebuilt a 242XP, the piston had signs it had seized and cleared, dropping the base gasket built up good compression but it ran like a bag of nails with lots of free porting around the inlet skirt so fitted a new one. Got it back together again and had some weird carb tuning issues - it would run rich and then BANG, straight up to 15300 rpm - the clutch side seal had leaked a little under vacuum so decided to change it and have yet to tach it but have gone as far as I need to - Oh - carb kit fitted as well!

576XP - seized and the cylinder was a bit pitted where someone had attempted to salvage the cylinder and left the chemical on:thumbdown: Cleaned and smoothed the cylinder, new aftermarket piston - just wasn't sure the cylinder was up to a new OEM one and will see how it goes - starts and runs OK and a relatively cheap repair.

MS201 - the chain running on and the carb having little effect on the saws idle. Cleaned the carb and still no effect, drilled the H screw limiter so I could adjust it - no effect, checked the clutch side seal by pouring thick oil on it when running - no effect but did notice the revs changing when the saw was at different angles - found a split inlet manifold - now one on order.

A 346XP (NE) - seized and filthy - brake handle buggered and parts missing:001_rolleyes: I have a scrapper so pulled the parts I needed, cleaned the cylinder which came up OK, bevelled the exhaust port and rebuilt - the clutch side seal had an epic leak under vacuum and pressure - bingo, that was the route cause of failure so have just fitted the new one, retested and is ready to tach - looking a damn sight cleaner than before:thumbup:

Now got two 550XPs to build in to one working machine - a two day old one got a direct hit resulting in a broken crank case brake handle mounting lug. The owner has struck a deal with the owner of a buggered one that came in so will rebuild the parts in to a working saw....hopefully:lol:

Bit warm in the workshop today, reassembled the MS201 with the split manifold and the vinyl gloves filled with sweat so thought, stuff this and stripped down a bit - shorts only and did a bit more before knocking it on the head - just too damn hot!

The 576XP is a little low on compression and doesn't like the decomp valve on starting, this saw has had a bit of traumer after a seize and someones bodged attempts at a repair so will probably drop the base gasket to up it a bit - compression will go up once the piston beds in a bit as well. Think the 365 and 372 can be a bit like this - well over 1mm squish so plenty to play with.

Also just got in an MS210 and 230 to do Aspen conversions on, nice and clean for a change! They will have new carb kits and fuel lines, they were converted and are now bogging down so will hopefully be OK once done.

Alsohave a 550XP to rebuild - another box of bits:001_rolleyes::lol:

Bit warm in the workshop today, reassembled the MS201 with the split manifold and the vinyl gloves filled with sweat so thought, stuff this and stripped down a bit - shorts only and did a bit more before knocking it on the head - just too damn hot!

The 576XP is a little low on compression and doesn't like the decomp valve on starting, this saw has had a bit of traumer after a seize and someones bodged attempts at a repair so will probably drop the base gasket to up it a bit - compression will go up once the piston beds in a bit as well. Think the 365 and 372 can be a bit like this - well over 1mm squish so plenty to play with.

Also just got in an MS210 and 230 to do Aspen conversions on, nice and clean for a change! They will have new carb kits and fuel lines, they were converted and are now bogging down so will hopefully be OK once done.

Alsohave a 550XP to rebuild - another box of bits:001_rolleyes::lol:

Wait until I get around to bringing in my 357. That's in 2 carrier bags. :biggrin:

I have been working on a 550XP this week, well two actually. One came in for repair as it was seized, the cylinder was shot and I know of a low mileage one that had been clouted by a tree, the auto tune gave me concerns on the first machine so a deal was struck between the two owners and I stripped the first one and used the crankcase for the second that had busted chain brake lugs.

The first saw had been off to Husqvarna on a warranty claim and had come back saying the piston had been damaged by carbon from the exhaust port - this was a load of sphericals as the only "carbon" in the exhaust port was in fact, the aluminium scraped off the front of the piston as it fried!!!

They had said the crankcase was pressure checked and had then taken out both crank seals.....WHY????:confused1: It just means I ended up having to purchase another two:001_rolleyes::thumbdown:

I guess they didn't pressure check it and just took the seals out to cover their tracks.

The machine was then returned completely in bits - even the flywheel had been removed and the clutch, oil pump etc...WHY???

I know they need to be thorough but you can test for leakage without dismantling the machine - you only do that if it leaks!!!!

I wasn't happy for the original owner - I think the most likely case of failure was lack of oil in the fuel but more about that in my next post.