What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Been working on a Stihl MS460 today, it was in the workshop to port, one thing that always makes me smile is when the saw that the owner needs making faster comes in with a real claggy air filter that must rob the saw of a good 15% of its power.

Anyone tried running a mile with a face mask on or with a bad cold:lol:

Anyway - the saw is done, exhaust widened, piston windows opened up considerably, the dual port muffler opened up and the squish lowered.

It came in with a healthy 170psi but now has nearer 190psi so it should pull well, pickup is pretty nippy for a large saw:thumbup:

clean.jpg.ec69640e0f3b9f918e7413d5b0cf1c2f.jpg

dirty.jpg.ad6207eb3a5733d841864e340d3b1b62.jpg

Haven't you fixed that 372 before spud? I'm guessing that specific saw is a regular on your bench?!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Steves had it a few times .. I keep meaning to eBay it but he tells me engine wise its good and it is ... It's just all the other bits that were put together on a Friday afternoon.

Been working on a Stihl MS460 today, it was in the workshop to port, one thing that always makes me smile is when the saw that the owner needs making faster comes in with a real claggy air filter that must rob the saw of a good 15% of its power.

Anyone tried running a mile with a face mask on or with a bad cold:lol:

Anyway - the saw is done, exhaust widened, piston windows opened up considerably, the dual port muffler opened up and the squish lowered.

It came in with a healthy 170psi but now has nearer 190psi so it should pull well, pickup is pretty nippy for a large saw:thumbup:

Good analogy that

Are the crankshafts on MS170 and MS180 saws the same? They have different part numbers 1132 030 0401 and 1132 030 0402. The seller on ebay says they are but im not so sure and if memory serves me correct they arnt.

Yes, same crank case, there is usually a minor difference, but it's usually to stop people slamming a bigger P&C on it, it's also shared with the 210

You sure the 210 is the same Eddy? Not saying your wrong but I didn't think they where.

IIRC the 170/180 is the same engine apart from bore size, Also I believe the rod on the 170 and 180 is flat steel whereas the rod on a 210 is an "I" beam shape and cast.

You're correct, I am mistaken, the 210 is the same crank as the 230 & 250, the 211 shares the 171/181 crank

Carefull Ray, the cranks on a 170 and 180 are different. The small end on the 170 takes an 8mm pin but the 180 takes a 10mm, thats why the cranks have different numbers.

The 171 and the 181 are however the same 1139-030-0401 crank as the 170.

Edit, sorry, the 171 and 181 DO NOT have the same as the 170, that one is 1132-030-0401 as you said. My first statement is however still accurate.

Edited by GardenKit
incorrect advice