What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Happy New Year from Mr and Mrs Spud, been busy on the Longcase clock over the break - the movement was easy but the case was pretty grotty - shifted a few coats of manky wood stain and varnish to get back to beautiful golden oak - the bottom of the clock isn't original and am now waiting on some fresh oak to stain, cut and replace the bodge of a repair someone has done. 200 years old and will probably last another 200 years - thats what I like about them.:biggrin:

Just fired up the 064 - perfect, runs and starts 100%, just got to knock it out. Also got a MS260 done at last, just needs a few tankfulls through but runs fine now.

So - Happy New Year - close now and lets hope it isn't as bad as the press will have you believe:001_rolleyes:

regarding the whats on your bench etc on doing the odd repair on 2 strokes over the years for friends etc motorbikes saws etc i,ts always made me think how does the 2 stroke oil seperate in the engine case etc its always oily etc but has petrol flushing through all the time it puzzles me how it does it ? under high stress and heat etc

Happy New Year from Mr and Mrs Spud, been busy on the Longcase clock over the break - the movement was easy but the case was pretty grotty - shifted a few coats of manky wood stain and varnish to get back to beautiful golden oak - the bottom of the clock isn't original and am now waiting on some fresh oak to stain, cut and replace the bodge of a repair someone has done. 200 years old and will probably last another 200 years - thats what I like about them.:biggrin:

QUOTE]

No pictures on the clock then? Maker? 30hr or 8-day? Painted or brass dial etc? I have several of these lurking around. I would say they're bigger than chainsaws, but given the saw I've just picked up....

Alec

QUOTE]

No pictures on the clock then? Maker? 30hr or 8-day? Painted or brass dial etc? I have several of these lurking around. I would say they're bigger than chainsaws, but given the saw I've just picked up....

Alec

Hi Alec - didn't know you were a clock man:thumbup:

Clockmaker - P.Ball of Truro

Age - the maker is listed as 1830

It is a 8 day movement - couldn't be flaffed with winding it up every 30 Hrs

The Dial is painted - my personal preference

Case - Oak but am working on the bottom as it has had a bad repair on it, got my nieces fiance on that quest - he is a cabinet maker so should get the wood for a decent repair soon!

Got a few clocks around the place, a bracket clock, the balloon one mentioned earlier and now this one:001_rolleyes:

Been out testing one of the MS200T saws that I refurbed earlier, nice saw, put a tank full of fuel with it, idleing for 30 mins and tached at 13K rpm - got decent compression - think I have a buyer for it.

Also did a final set up on a Stihl 048 - destined for ebay and is a solid machine - had a new piston as the original had a very slight lean seize, the clutch hass been sorted and it is a belting saw now: -

P1030978.jpg.2a09a5d6ca408dc8ba4cd5c7272241c4.jpg

59765f50f2747_StihlMS200T2.jpg.a537ad7b5a27c60f013974c73affc847.jpg

59765f50ed7eb_StihlMS200T1.jpg.f1ca389f654688f52c88bfc1f0b8a844.jpg

Hi Alec - didn't know you were a clock man:thumbup:

Oh yes, probably got more clocks than chainsaws only I don't dare count them. Firstly, they don't need pressure testing and secondly, they're even lower revving than my saws...

Don't know your maker, but then there were a lot of them by the 1830s. We've just finished restoring a nice 1790s painted face on a 30hr movement - just got to get the case sorted now - walnut so a bit trickier but I have something suitable. If you get stuck for oak, let me know as I have some smaller bits kicking around.

Alec