What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Partner stone saw - concretions (yep that is a real word spud!) attached to flywheel and other areas removed. Was starving of fuel, 30 pulls to start, no revs- new fuel filter, plug and general clean up - now starts and runs a dream. First one of these - new notch on the bed post.

Tillotson carb seemed not to have HL adjustment - holes were filled in with brass caps - there was one big brass screw on other side of carb like a jet - as it was running so well I didn't want to fix a prob that wasn't there.

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture6620-20130706-122726.jpg

Partner stone saw - concretions (yep that is a real word spud!) attached to flywheel and other areas removed. Was starving of fuel, 30 pulls to start, no revs- new fuel filter, plug and general clean up - now starts and runs a dream. First one of these - new notch on the bed post.

Tillotson carb seemed not to have HL adjustment - holes were filled in with brass caps - there was one big brass screw on other side of carb like a jet - as it was running so well I didn't want to fix a prob that wasn't there.

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture6620-20130706-122726.jpg

Which active 650 is it?

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Don't know if it on Aspen but at that rate, I dare say it's expensive to fuel,

But if you want nuts, have a gander through this,

Always wanted to put a GSX or Z1 1000cc engine on my Suffolk Colt - thought it would make for an interesting project:001_rolleyes::lol:

Partner stone saw - concretions (yep that is a real word spud!)

QUOTE]

That's a lovely word, almost as good as Ye Olde English Shyte:thumbup:

The big brass screw will be a safety valve to richen the mixture if the H screw gets turned in too much - I know your machine doesn't have an H screw but my 181SE has it and it means I can't lean it down now it is ported but I do know you can blank of this device but wouldn't recommend it on a standard saw etc.

If its the same type of brass screw as on the tillotson carbs fitted to the stihl 051/075/076 etc then as Spud says its a safety valve under it. It acts as a type of rev limiter and floods the carb so it cant be over revved. Its simply a ball and spring mechanism, not something you can adjust easily but can block it off to increase the rpm but not recccomended especially on a cutter as would prob put the rpm of the saw over the disc max speed.

If its the same type of brass screw as on the tillotson carbs fitted to the stihl 051/075/076 etc then as Spud says its a safety valve under it. It acts as a type of rev limiter and floods the carb so it cant be over revved. Its simply a ball and spring mechanism, not something you can adjust easily but can block it off to increase the rpm but not recccomended especially on a cutter as would prob put the rpm of the saw over the disc max speed.

Sounds like the same item - wondered why I couldn't get the 181SE to rev out properly after I ported it until I found this device - haven't blanked it off to date but is a mod in the waiting:thumbup:

its a very basic design but it works. Seal the screw well after if you do remove it to have a look as they are prone to leak petrol around the threads, they sealed them with thread lock from new.

Basically the ball sits in the end of the spring and when at whatever pressure lifts the ball (obviously against the spring pressure) which in turn allows excess fuel to flow into a gallery making the carb run rich hence cutting power and acting as a rev limiter. (hope that makes sense)

If you where extremely lucky and could work out spring pressures etc you could upgrade the spring pressure to open at higher revs but would be more luck than judgement to get it right....