What's on your bench today?

spudulike

hoping somebody could point me in the right direction on this ....

my 066 had a piece break off the piston at work so thought it would be a nice project so srtip down, repaint ect. i put an aftermarket 066 head on it but now the saw has nowhere near the compression it used to ? i dont have a compression tester as i just cant afford one at the minute dont suppose anyone could give me some idea ?

thanks

tim

59766332b9440_IMG_07942.jpg.4d0eda18a1b6cb270494c3203acb4e56.jpg

59766332b6ff5_IMG_07931.jpg.9f62c58d22a254d07df0b5abea0c09cc.jpg

59766332b2747_IMG_07921.jpg.2d1890611804794108b5d2e354555769.jpg

Edited by lakeyboy
forgot to upload pics

hoping somebody could point me in the right direction on this ....

my 066 had a piece break off the piston at work so thought it would be a nice project so srtip down, repaint ect. i put an aftermarket 066 head on it but now the saw has nowhere near the compression it used to ? i dont have a compression tester as i just cant afford one at the minute dont suppose anyone could give me some idea ?

thanks

tim

Firstly was the original cylinder damaged beyond repair - the reasons you have listed is why I try to avoid aftermarket Chinese kit:thumbdown:

There is a possibility that the compression will rise with use but from my experience, I have found that the piston to bore fit can be poor in Chinese kits plus the squish can also be far too large!

With care you can sort some of these issues by taking some metal off the base of the cylinder but it will have an effect on port timing.

If you can, try the original cylinder with a Meteor piston - you will find this works much better as long as the cylinder has survived the piston breakup!

no its not simply bolt on and go it took a bit of fiddling but it is possible i spent a a fair amount of time reading up on it beforehand. the original cylinder seems to be ok couple of tiny dings and chips in it so maybe serviceable? im not so sure about the squish being too large as with no gasket the piston hits the top of the cylinder :confused1: it hasnt even had a tank of motion lotion through it yet so could it possibly the rings havnt seated properly yet ?

i havent got a compression tester i know i need to get one but i can tell its low on compression by comparing it to the other 064 which my boss has i can pick his up by the starter rope and it hangs for a fair while longer than mine and his has a larger bar just bit gutted really it took me a fair while to build and was my first proper teardown and rebuild from scratch first day i took it to work it just let me down :thumbdown:

i havent got a compression tester i know i need to get one but i can tell its low on compression by comparing it to the other 064 which my boss has i can pick his up by the starter rope and it hangs for a fair while longer than mine and his has a larger bar just bit gutted really it took me a fair while to build and was my first proper teardown and rebuild from scratch first day i took it to work it just let me down :thumbdown:

Get some decent images up of the cylinder damage, It souonds like it may be a better solution than using the Chinese one.

Sounds like the squish isn't the issue then so it is probably the piston to cylinder fit - if you have done a few, you know what to look for and what is good and bad - I go through a few simple checks when I do this type of repair and get a good idea of what the fit is like before re-assembling.

The compression will go up but sounds like it isn't much good as it is at the moment!

If the comp is that low it won't rise that much IMO.

Is the piston on the right way round. Just a thought and not meaning to sound like your a fool but simple things.

You need to inspect the cylinder better, one small scratch could lead to comp going past the rings.

Get a good pic up of the pot.