What's on your bench today?

spudulike

here are pics of the original its not that bad is it? i think when i was looking to replace the piston i saw big bore kits ect ect of course i wanted a bit more grunt seems that i made a mistake now :001_unsure: i understood that buying a cylinder kit for £70 quid was never going to be as good as the real thing just didnt expect to be this bad :thumbdown:

597663336ce5c_IMG_07971.jpg.fae8fed2e059a44e29be6f97522be43d.jpg

597663336b521_IMG_07961.jpg.cd519c78210f9eb14ac92ce1aebfbd25.jpg

5976633368a27_IMG_07951.jpg.41622c7ff7a370f062795a6c65714c7c.jpg

£70 not too bad. I've seen cheaper but they are definatly the Chinese ones. And I will never go there again.

Did it turn up in a white box?? :lol:.

I have fitted and meteor piston into another pot, but it wasn't Chinese pot. If its all new I would do a wet comp test, then run a tank it in then do another comp test.

The problem, as spud points out often, is the Chinese ones just don't have good rings on the piston.

I forget now but were the rings from the old piston any good??

i think the rings were ok cant remember where i put them ??? but the aftermarket was an 066 topend so they would be no good anyway i think i may have to get a comp tester when i have some spare cash. what do you mean by wet test ? sorry for all the questions i can do most basic things but still a bit of an amatuer

Wet test means with some fuel going into it. So plug out and pull over a few times to allow the fuel to build up a bit in the cylinder.

Makes the rings wet so the fuel acts like a seal around the rings. Could try it dry first and then wet to see if the rings are bedding into the pot or not.

It's a bit like a basic car engine comp diagnosis, if the rings are suspect in a car then some oil in plug hole and a test will allow it to become clear if the rings are suspect as a dramatic increase in comp with the oil creating a seal around the rings and cylinder means the cylinder lining or rings are knackerd.

Almost same principle in two stroke exept using fuel instead of oil.

right im with you now will have to wait untill i can get a comp tester if the aftermarket p/c is no good spud mentioned meteor pistons ? where would be the best place to get one from ?

thanks again

tim

eBay. Hey are on there. This one is from America but i only done a quick search. You may find more. But check the size you need.

Meteor Piston kit for STIHL 066, 066 Magnum, MS660 - MS 660 (54mm) | eBay