What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Testing a coil

Have this Mcculloch on the bench was running fine then spark became nothing more than a very weak tingle on the fingers - with either recoil or turning engine over with drill.

Noticed also that the flywheel fins have gone for a burton - no idea how that happened - pulled about a kilo of dirt out of the flywheel side cover. Wonder if overheating can damage the coil?

ALSO - Can you test a coil with just a multimeter? If so what's the process ? If not what machine (apart from my finger tips and arm getting a belt) can definitively test a coil?

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture5999-20130112-154618.jpg

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture6000-20130112-184258.jpg

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture6001-20130112-184340.jpg

Coil is a 219848-01 Mcculloch

Cheers chaps

this saw has also been sold as sovereign, performance power as well as others you may have luck this way this is the way i went when i needed a oil pump for one. I may have a second hand coil if you are interested i will check when i am down the workshop tomorrow . pm me if you are interested

Edited by BILLSMOWERS

this saw has also been sold as sovereign, performance power as well as others you may have luck this way this is the way i went when i needed a oil pump for one. I may have a second hand coil if you are interested i will check when i am down the workshop tomorrow . pm me if you are interested

I pulled a coil off a McCulloch Virginia hedge trimmer once and used that on the Sovereign model - worked just fine:-)

This is whats on my bench tonight.....I purchased a Jonsered 2165 off ebay - guy had "lent it out" and came back not running.

Bit of an inspection later - crank bearings shagged, piston scored and missing a lump off the skirt, bore scored, clutch busted up:thumbdown: Bang goes the fix and sell route.

Burrell had just purchased a 372 with a busted crank and the only saws to share the same parts are the 365 special and the Jonnie 2165 .....spent a couple of hours stripping the machine - the needed crank and flywheel are now out:thumbup:

5976631182437_Crankandflywheel.jpg.7de2f54286cdef1939caffd637307bc0.jpg

Thanks Barrie

I'm sort of sensing that the numbers on meters are irrelevant - what counts is whether there's a decent spark or not? I'm imagining that it's not about diagnosing a coil because even if you know somethings wrong they're not end-user repairable? Although I do recoil somebody once flashing a 'black box' at me and saying it was a dedicated coil tester?

I've bought one of the briggs spark testers that has a window like the Zat 3 but I don't think you can adjust the spark gap as you mention- hasn't arrived yet- I'm guessing that Zat tool cost a few bob?

Think I may also try removing a spark plug tang and see how useful that is as a spark tester.

Any other DIY testers around?

Anybody know a UK supplier of these Mcculloch coils new? Plenty to be shipped from USA but have been stung with 'duties' before.

cheers folks

If that is a MacCat 839, I may have a spare coil for that here.

Thanks Barrie

I'm sort of sensing that the numbers on meters are irrelevant - what counts is whether there's a decent spark or not? I'm imagining that it's not about diagnosing a coil because even if you know somethings wrong they're not end-user repairable? Although I do recoil somebody once flashing a 'black box' at me and saying it was a dedicated coil tester?

I've bought one of the briggs spark testers that has a window like the Zat 3 but I don't think you can adjust the spark gap as you mention- hasn't arrived yet- I'm guessing that Zat tool cost a few bob?

Think I may also try removing a spark plug tang and see how useful that is as a spark tester.

Any other DIY testers around?

Anybody know a UK supplier of these Mcculloch coils new? Plenty to be shipped from USA but have been stung with 'duties' before.

cheers folks

There are three issues here Mike

One is how to test your coil. That seems to be answered.

Two is where to get a coil, a few good solutions here as well.

But thirdly, should you really be contemplating repairing that saw without fitting a new flywheel?. That one will be well out of balance, I would not want to run that at 12000revs!

I think the scrap bin is the best place for that one.

Just my humble opinion.

Those parts I mentioned are for a 372XPG that had three fins missing from one side and one from the other - I reckon it may have caused the big end to fail and also mushroom one inside face of the piston.

If one fin is missing you can sometimes knock a fin off the other if the saw is of low value but that flywheel looks well past it - reckon something has come loose inside and busted it up - get it replaced!

This is whats on my bench tonight.....I purchased a Jonsered 2165 off ebay - guy had "lent it out" and came back not running.

Bit of an inspection later - crank bearings shagged, piston scored and missing a lump off the skirt, bore scored, clutch busted up:thumbdown: Bang goes the fix and sell route.

Burrell had just purchased a 372 with a busted crank and the only saws to share the same parts are the 365 special and the Jonnie 2165 .....spent a couple of hours stripping the machine - the needed crank and flywheel are now out:thumbup:

looks good spud

put the 266 back together to try out tomorrow nite

046 is back in one bit

stripper a hl75 down for new crank seals

started cleaning the 372 up

put 2 new shelfs in the garage

and started to finish my arbor trolly

so all in all a busy afternoon and nite for me

now going to bed

:lol: