What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Every picture tells a story. Yours looks less like rings but more like either circlip damage or big end bearing failure.

Both are extremely rare on a machine with OEM parts.

The circlip is easy to check.....were both present in the piston - they should be without tangs if OEM. 

The big end cage is relatively easy to check by turning the cage around with the rod pushed to one side, the cage to another. 

The piston looks a bit clean for 2007 and its look doesn't sit right with me. The windows on the OEM part are wider at the bottom than the top and yours looks like aftermarket to me.

Do a pic of the top with the carbon rubbed off - that will tell another tale.

• Like 1

So someone decided to straight gas their Echo 361wes. Made a nicely lovely even mess of the piston. Fortunately, since it basically didn't start the second time they tried it, it looks like the cylinder may be recoverable...maybe...

The reason I posted this is - if someone comes to you with an Echo 355T or 360T etc, just say no.

These are even less fun to play with than MS290's. If this wasn't owned by a friend of mine, and wasn't being ported, I would have turned them away. It takes forever to pull this thing apart and put it back together.

Anywho, may have a ported video soon if I don't make it any worse...

174111857.597d646f.JPEG

Still over here in Wicklow. Porting a few more saws nowadays then I was, so keeping busy enough.

Another thing I forgot to mention about these little Echo's is, for some ungodly reason I will never understand, Echo uses a different fastener for nearly everything and everywhere. It's like it was designed by someone that sold fasteners.

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, spudulike said:

Every picture tells a story. Yours looks less like rings but more like either circlip damage or big end bearing failure.

Both are extremely rare on a machine with OEM parts.

The circlip is easy to check.....were both present in the piston - they should be without tangs if OEM. 

The big end cage is relatively easy to check by turning the cage around with the rod pushed to one side, the cage to another. 

The piston looks a bit clean for 2007 and its look doesn't sit right with me. The windows on the OEM part are wider at the bottom than the top and yours looks like aftermarket to me.

Do a pic of the top with the carbon rubbed off - that will tell another tale.

There is a 'W 15' on the top (dots)

'B' on the center left and an arrow pointing right with 4 dots above and below the shaft.

Yes it's clean as I'd attacked it with a brass brush and it's been in my pocket for a few days.

Both circlips were there, they had tangs.

One side was bent back on itself.

So the bloke who sold it to me lied then ....

One quick question, how do I get the decompressor out ?

A very thin wall 13mm socket ?

On the decomp valve - not sure on the size but needs a "Deep" socket thin wall socket - no workshop is complete without a set.

The circlips are definitely not OEM which makes me think the piston probably isnt.

The piston markings - Stating "B" makes it sound like it may have been a decent brand. Stihl usually have an arrow plus a "S" engraved in dots and other marks. Is there a brand on the inside of the piston? Stihl usually has a "S" logo in a square box.

49 minutes ago, spudulike said:

On the decomp valve - not sure on the size but needs a "Deep" socket thin wall socket - no workshop is complete without a set.

The circlips are definitely not OEM which makes me think the piston probably isnt.

The piston markings - Stating "B" makes it sound like it may have been a decent brand. Stihl usually have an arrow plus a "S" engraved in dots and other marks. Is there a brand on the inside of the piston? Stihl usually has a "S" logo in a square box.

The numbers 1756, MP (in a box) and ITALY on the other side.