What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Well no. There was some marking on the cylinder but cleaned off really easy. Felt the rings it nothing I could notice.

Guess its one of those times that it just needs doing.

Well done Rich, really glad you sorted it, you can get a good seal sometimes on a cold engine but as soon as it starts running, the piston gets warm, the fuel mix gets thin around the piston and pop, it starts to play up and then won't restart.

Thanks for the praise, this is a good thread to bring the techies together and teach some of the less initiated on how to resolve issues - seen you get better at what you do since coming on here:thumbup:

Meteor saves the day...again - told you they were good:thumbup1:

Oh the resource this site gives as a tech base is outstanding.

And yes I can see meteor as a very good piston maker. The quality of the finish on them is second to none. They don't just take it from mould to temper, they grind them down clean and remove all fab marks. I saw that on the first one I used.

I won't even consider another option if I can help it now.

But that's one more 200t out the way and its on to the next. This one really oodles just need a new carb. Tried and tested.

Had a tinker with the works km 55 today, the coil that was apparently duff produces a nice fat blue spark, that jumped 4-5mm to the cylinder, including through my finger at one point! Reassembled, fitted a new plug, started, but it died on throttle, cleared the carb of dirt on outside, noticed fuel is leaking from the gasket areas! Fuel lines ok, so new carb kit will be on order, and the carb will be sat in my US cleaner soon!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Had a tinker with the works km 55 today, the coil that was apparently duff produces a nice fat blue spark, that jumped 4-5mm to the cylinder, including through my finger at one point! Reassembled, fitted a new plug, started, but it died on throttle, cleared the carb of dirt on outside, noticed fuel is leaking from the gasket areas! Fuel lines ok, so new carb kit will be on order, and the carb will be sat in my US cleaner soon!

Your works tach isn't going to be happy with you.... :lol::lol:

Your works tach isn't going to be happy with you.... :lol::lol:

Nope, he wasn't when I fixed the blower, or a cylinder mower or some of the other stuff, but he keeps riching them up, and one of my colleagues was mixing fuel at 25:1 for god knows how long!

MS200 saga over....thought it was going to be a sweepstake, thanks for the updates, I'm sure I wasn't the only one mulling it over

I just put a meteor from Leo on a 260 after Spuds recommendation earlier in the thread, they are certainly nicely made.

MS200 saga over....thought it was going to be a sweepstake, thanks for the updates, I'm sure I wasn't the only one mulling it over

I just put a meteor from Leo on a 260 after Spuds recommendation earlier in the thread, they are certainly nicely made.

It was never a saga. It pure epic...:thumbup1::biggrin:

Just couldn't get my head around the comp being good and the pot being clean aswell. Live and learn. And I'm sure I'm not the only person who will learn from it either.

:thumbup1:

Ok. Home now and nice and warm.

The saw runs..... :thumbup::thumbup::biggrin::thumbup::biggrin::biggrin::thumbup:

New piston and away it goes. It's not something that would have stuck with me before but looking at it it was fine. Just to show you can't always rely on comp tests to pass a saw.

Replaced it all and it fired up third pull. Then fired up first time every time after.

I reckon its meteor, put one of them in it and it will run.:thumbup:

Again this has been one of those jobs. I'm extremely gratefull for all the advice and ideas that everyone put forward on this one. Most I had done already but tested second time around.

Goes to prove what an excellent site this is and Steve you don't get enough appriciation. Well form me anyway.

Take a huge bow everyone for your input.

A HUGE THANK YOU.

:thumbup1: well done for seeing it through Rich - epic/saga/odyssey - fair old trek whatever - can't say I'm 100% clear what the final diagnosis is really?

Ok mike. I will try but neither am I really.

The old piston looked ok. There was the usuall heavy soot on the top but lean intake. The exhaust had a bit of crud around it but nothing major.

I will investigate the piston more when I next get to workshop, will need to inspect the rings very closely. I'm suspecting at this stage the rings being scored. But they look ok.

If they are scored it would have meant the crank case leaking through them and going straight out exhaust rather than into transfer ports and piston. This gap would seal when full throttle applied and fuel would fill the gaps.

Hense the problems with running seemed like an exhaust issue.

There is no doubt the bearings and crank seals had gone when the saw turned up, and by this I'm alo suspect that the piston was able to move about in pot and either catch a ring on a port and damage it or allow the piston to scrape the pot and loose some alli on it.

Thinking out load here but will get a really close look at old piston and go from there. Need a magnifying glass.

P.S worked on one of them David browns in college. Complete engine rebuild. Don't think it was the Same one but it had fixed sleeves. Had to have a re bore for new pistons and rings. But the one I had to work on was no where near as clean as yours when it turned up. It has used for the dairy poo scraping tractor.

Edited by Rich2484