What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Have you tried a new plug?

Worked on many an 020 over the years and not very often but a couple of times have had this similar sounding problem that points straight to the carb but has in fact been a simple dodgy plug.

Sparks ok out of the cylinder but not under pressure.

Good one Mark - said this some time back about new plug but one thing I would do Rich before the piston replacement is re-gap the spark plug to 16thou

I put it one for trying to run but for just testing it I left it off. So to give it a quick try it was off during the various tests but when I wanted to run it up proper it went on.

I'm really getting it into my head about the piston now. I'm stuck on the running on full throttle and choke bit. This means that there is max fuel going into the case and cylinder. Could this fuel create a seal on the rings but on tickover not a lot of fuel going in creating no seal???

My mind is off again.....

OR it could mean the mix isn't volatile enough without choke with a weak spark in the cylinder - spark inside and spark outside aren't always the same - try re-gapping your new plug to 16 thou

Ok. Spark will be regapped. And a new one tried. But for now thi saw is to one side as I need to clear other tools before I can go back as I'm not making any money on it now.

But for now at least its the husky getting a going over. Cleaned out the carb and all good, spark is good, just needs a good clean. There is no stickers left to tell me what model it is only a plate at the from with 16611 03644. Does this mean its a husky 61?

Also I need factory setting for high low screws. If anyone knows them please.

I have got a ride on mower to look at later and get some details for service aswell. Bog standard type service, engine, blades, belts check etc etc etc. all the boring bread money stuff.

Ok. Spark will be regapped. And a new one tried. But for now thi saw is to one side as I need to clear other tools before I can go back as I'm not making any money on it now.

But for now at least its the husky getting a going over. Cleaned out the carb and all good, spark is good, just needs a good clean. There is no stickers left to tell me what model it is only a plate at the from with 16611 03644. Does this mean its a husky 61?

Also I need factory setting for high low screws. If anyone knows them please.

I have got a ride on mower to look at later and get some details for service aswell. Bog standard type service, engine, blades, belts check etc etc etc. all the boring bread money stuff.

It looks like a 61 to me - measure the piston - 48mm and it is a Rancher 61.

Take the muffler off, get one of those red tubes that come with WD40 etc, pop it accross the piston so it pushes against the far side of the cylinder, rotate the flywheel so it nips on the upper exhaust port roof and then measure the mark to end of the tube with verniers - 48mm and you have your answer:thumbup:

48mm. Rancher 61 ir is then. Not that means much to me. Just need carb settings please.

Tried the gap on a new plug on that 200 no difference. Still a pig.

Rich, one off-the-wall thought. Since you fueled the saw and started trying to test it, have you at any point chucked the fuel and filled with a new batch from a different can? I know it's an outside chance, but if the thing is particularly temperamental and you happen to have picked up a less than ideal batch when you bought the last can (presuming you're using pump fuel, which does vary quite a bit even within spec) it could reproduce the symptoms of slightly low calorific value - basically if you've already lost some of the slightly more volatile fraction it will need a richer mix to fire up, but run once it's going.

I've beaten Barrie to this suggestion - for test purposes you could try a tank of Aspen....:001_tt2:

Alec

The saw has never been run on aspen and has always been run on pump fuel. Same mix ratio as I use and new fuel was used after strip down and carb has been cleaned and set back to factory setting. And yes have filled form different cans aswell.

I'm awaiting for the new piston I ordered last night. S the saw is away until Tuesday. Or Wednesday. Keep the ideas coming tho as I can always do the checks anyone suggests and cross them off at least. I don't think the fuel is the issue. The plug comes out just right with dampness of fuels on it after trying to run. Sometimes comes out wet if the saw wont fire.

The rancher has been set and runs lovely. Just going to finish a clean up and sharpen up the chain and cut some timber just to check it is all good.

Gt to say it is a lovely saw. Ad I see why people like th husky now. But I'm still disinfecting the bench and sticking to stihl :001_tt2:

Thanks mark that very kind of you.

I do have one more question on the husky. I knew it done it before and its normally an easy fix but, the off switch isn't working. It has one lack wire going to it but nothing coming away from it. Does it have to have another wire and if so where does it ground out to??

image.jpg.083810b4dfa8b7d8d6835e349fb0961b.jpg