What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Using sthil saw today( not chainsaw).

Used it 3-4 times this morning, no probs,

Went to start it again it was just about solid, wouldn't pull, felt seized.

Took plug out, pushed piston down dropped some oil in, repeated this and it started and ran, sounded a bit ill. Noisy.

Big end? Small end?

Any thoughts?

Not chainsaw? Guess you mean Polesaw then.

Let us know what it is and if 2stroke or 4 stroke.

Flooding Carb (Zama C1Q DM9A 2BA)

on this Makita /Dolmar DC34

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture6143-20130207-210529-1.jpg

Got the saw with a crank case literally full of fuel - dripping out of exhaust when turned over - no firing - too wet but lovely spark.

Removed carb - pressure test failed - ultrasonicd - did not replace any diaphragms / gaskets /needles.

Reassembled - held 8psi - no probs - refitted - exactly the same issue. Plug removed - turn over - fuel mist pouring out of spark plug hole and literally running back into the air filter tube - clearly just pouring into cylinder - apparently not stopping.

Have a I missed a test - reseating?? - never really done that - do i need a new carb kit - it as if the petrol goes straight through the carb - like an open channel. Welch plugs?

Cheers folks

For cutting concrete/steel etc.

TS400 2 stroke.

Whip off the side cover off, the one that covers the flywheel (NOT recoil starter side - try to move the flywheel up and down and side to side by pushing it and NOT rotating it.

I would suspect the crank bearings have expired and the flywheel is now clouting the coil - got two like that in my collection :thumbdown:

It should have zero play in it!

If this isn't the case then remove the muffler (3 bolts) and look at the piston through the exhaust port - it it has many vertical lines and gouges in it it is knackered - Seized:thumbdown:

Flooding Carb (Zama C1Q DM9A 2BA)

on this Makita /Dolmar DC34

mikerecike-albums-mikespics-picture6143-20130207-210529-1.jpg

Got the saw with a crank case literally full of fuel - dripping out of exhaust when turned over - no firing - too wet but lovely spark.

Removed carb - pressure test failed - ultrasonicd - did not replace any diaphragms / gaskets /needles.

Reassembled - held 8psi - no probs - refitted - exactly the same issue. Plug removed - turn over - fuel mist pouring out of spark plug hole and literally running back into the air filter tube - clearly just pouring into cylinder - apparently not stopping.

Have a I missed a test - reseating?? - never really done that - do i need a new carb kit - it as if the petrol goes straight through the carb - like an open channel. Welch plugs?

Cheers folks

Leaking needle valve or metering arm set too high - possible the diaphragm spacer isn't between the diaphragm and the carb body!

Pressure test the carb:thumbup:

Leaking needle valve or metering arm set too high - possible the diaphragm spacer isn't between the diaphragm and the carb body!

Pressure test the carb:thumbup:

cheers spud

pressure tested the carb - that's what's throwing me - held pressure no probs - as sson as it was on the saw and i pulled it over petrol everywhere - could you have all of the above Leaking needle valve or metering arm set too high - possible the diaphragm spacer isn't between the diaphragm and the carb body! and pressure test still be fine?

First of all thankyou :thumbup: yes that drill hanging up is what I used it's dremel type multitool made by gmc I'm quite impressed with it considering it cost just under 30 quid and the different bits I used were a 6mm ball shaped carbide burr and the sanding drums and grinding stones that came with the tool. Since those pictures I have smoothed/polished the exhaust port with wet and dry and a buffing wheel (also came with the tool) all in all I'm pleased with how it turned out :biggrin:

cheers lakey - ordered the tool today- i know i've got some mickey mouse bits and stones - if you can recommend any others bear it in mind

all the best

cheers spud

pressure tested the carb - that's what's throwing me - held pressure no probs - as sson as it was on the saw and i pulled it over petrol everywhere - could you have all of the above Leaking needle valve or metering arm set too high - possible the diaphragm spacer isn't between the diaphragm and the carb body! and pressure test still be fine?

The pressure test will prove the needle valve is fine - it may still pass with the metering arm or gaskets being incorrect - these are the typical faults of overfuelling - I am taking the H&L screws are set correctly?