What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Been working on a troublesome Jonsered 2051, these saws are right rippers in their own right but this one would reluctantly start and then wouldn't re-start when hot.

Compression dropped a lot when warm so did some work on the gasket spacer and managed to find a slightly oversize piston - "B" in an "A" bore - compression is now an amazing 230psi and the saw sounds.......slightly hot:thumbup: Did a little porting when I was working on it. Be interesting to see how it performs now, am thinking it may be a bit like a 346 as the 2051s are supposed to run at 14,600rpm but havent checked yet!

Another one to sell out once tached:thumbup:

597662fc535ed_Jonsered2051.jpg.e53c6a025c79f0a55933d5e0381ff9fc.jpg

Been refurbing yet another MS200T, this one was purchased by A N Other as a non runner, stripped of some spares and then the owner decided to get it going again.

I have reworked the cylinder and fitted a new piston.

The cylinder and muffler looked like an over baked chocolate Brownie and was dmn hard to clean:thumbdown:

Been working on a troublesome Jonsered 2051, these saws are right rippers in their own right but this one would reluctantly start and then wouldn't re-start when hot.

Compression dropped a lot when warm so did some work on the gasket spacer and managed to find a slightly oversize piston - "B" in an "A" bore - compression is now an amazing 230psi and the saw sounds.......slightly hot:thumbup: Did a little porting when I was working on it. Be interesting to see how it performs now, am thinking it may be a bit like a 346 as the 2051s are supposed to run at 14,600rpm but havent checked yet!

Another one to sell out once tached:thumbup:

What price would you be asking for this?

Does anyone know where there is a database of compressions for chainsaws? Ie. husky 345

Husky 345 - run one for three years - mine ran at 170psi and was in very good nick, I have done a few now and most have been over 150psi with 160psi being average.

This has been measured on a Gunson Hi Gauge - it does mae a difference as some gauges have more resistiv valves in them and measure lower!

Most saws in decent used condition will pull 150psi, some saws with little use will have 170psi, older saws with domed pistons can pull well over 200psi, my ported saws pull 180 - 200psi and the earlier mentioned Jonsered is frighteningly high:001_huh:

Some saws do run low from pretty much new - the 365 Husky and Stihl 066/660 do come in at around 145 -150 and never really seem to be much more.

The general rule of thumb is anything over 145psi is good as long as the piston isn't scored!

Husky 345 - run one for three years - mine ran at 170psi and was in very good nick, I have done a few now and most have been over 150psi with 160psi being average.

This has been measured on a Gunson Hi Gauge - it does mae a difference as some gauges have more resistiv valves in them and measure lower!

Most saws in decent used condition will pull 150psi, some saws with little use will have 170psi, older saws with domed pistons can pull well over 200psi, my ported saws pull 180 - 200psi and the earlier mentioned Jonsered is frighteningly high:001_huh:

Some saws do run low from pretty much new - the 365 Husky and Stihl 066/660 do come in at around 145 -150 and never really seem to be much more.

The general rule of thumb is anything over 145psi is good as long as the piston isn't scored!

Thank you for the info spud :thumbup1:mine came up at 160psi but there's a wee scoring mark in the piston exhaust side and the ring seems fine. Only noticed recently it has had a muffler mod albeit a poor job. I've read somewhere the size of the hole should be around 80%of the width of the exhaust port is this true?

image.jpg.dfaf9b7ab375df55c2ad5646c1cdd863.jpg

Thank you for the info spud :thumbup1:mine came up at 160psi but there's a wee scoring mark in the piston exhaust side and the ring seems fine. Only noticed recently it has had a muffler mod albeit a poor job. I've read somewhere the size of the hole should be around 80%of the width of the exhaust port is this true?

Well 160psi is decent, the piston still has very visible machining marks on it so is still good, the small mark may have been made by a small piece of carbon but is insignificant as the ring looks unmarked - if it concerns you, pop the ring off and use a small piece of finishing paper to clean it off but is really just vanity:001_rolleyes::blushing:

The muffler mod - general rule is 80% of the area of the exhaust port but others say this is balderdash, popycock and piffle - posh lot us techies:lol:

Personally I stay loosely around the 80% as much larger and the saw gets a little loud - especially the larger stihls for some reason!