What's on your bench today?

spudulike

The Danarm is now off the bench waiting for a new chain, it's been replaced by this. Pioneer 620.

r-mac-albums-chainsaws-picture7953-pioneer-620.jpg

r-mac-albums-chainsaws-picture7952-pioneer-620.jpg

r-mac-albums-chainsaws-picture7954-pioneer-620.jpg

It was running but died last week while I was messing around, fuel starvation by the look of the sediment filter plus it fired up when I injected fuel into the cylinder

Thanks for your endorsement of my opinion on Ethanol Shield, originally when I discovered the ethanol problem I used the Briggs stuff for a couple of years, but when I read the spec of the ES product I could see it was approaching the problem in a different way and when I discovered that ES was being imported by a company in Somerset I took the opportunity to try it.

I`m now only a personal user of fuel, but I have to say that having used it for more than a year in over a dozen small engines including outboards, I`ve noticed a definate improvement, so I can only presume that it`s doing what it claims, ie cleaning the varnish off the tiny passages that other powders leave behind :biggrin:

The best example is my PM 45 strimmer which ticks over now for the first time in 15 years. Are spares still available for these ?, when I look online, I get nowhere, but I know from reading on here that you`re a Tanaka expert.

I totally agree with the reasons for using Aspen that I knew about, but I didn`t know it was drinkable, I may yet be converted !! cheers

What a small world R mac,

A few months ago , I rescued a 620 pioneer from being scrapped, my neighbour, a forester wanted to see the magnesium burning on a bonfire !!! It looks exactly like yours, it was stuck with sitting but I got it moving and stripped it, it`s in a box for now but like a lot of old stuff it`s definitely fixable, as with many of these old tools, they`ve been lying around for a lot of years but they ain`t done much.

I`ll watch with interest, I`ve got pics but can`t find a way to them on here due to being an old &^%$ . cheers.

Thanks for your endorsement of my opinion on Ethanol Shield, originally when I discovered the ethanol problem I used the Briggs stuff for a couple of years, but when I read the spec of the ES product I could see it was approaching the problem in a different way and when I discovered that ES was being imported by a company in Somerset I took the opportunity to try it.

I`m now only a personal user of fuel, but I have to say that having used it for more than a year in over a dozen small engines including outboards, I`ve noticed a definate improvement, so I can only presume that it`s doing what it claims, ie cleaning the varnish off the tiny passages that other powders leave behind :biggrin:

The best example is my PM 45 strimmer which ticks over now for the first time in 15 years. Are spares still available for these ?, when I look online, I get nowhere, but I know from reading on here that you`re a Tanaka expert.

I totally agree with the reasons for using Aspen that I knew about, but I didn`t know it was drinkable, I may yet be converted !! cheers

As well as ethanol shield B3C also do 'mechanic in a bottle (MIB)'. TBH this stuff really does seem to work, and quickly too. If you have a poor running machine and suspect a gunked up fuel system, then a shot of 'MIB' in the fuel will often clean it up and get it running well.

Often the machine will be fine to use then, but as a technician I tend to use it to provide a quick diagnosis, i.e get it working so that I know its basically sound, then do a proper strip and clean.

With regards to your PM45, the IPL's are still on the system, so parts should still be available. Tanaka spares availability is second to none, and the machines just keep going, they are brilliant kit.

Just let me know what you want.

Yeah, agreed, great stuff -I`ve used the diesel MIB in my car and definitely noticed a difference, It`s an A4 with 170 thousand on the clock, their products seem to be ahead of their competition.

Thanks for Tanaka information, I`ll be in touch in the spring.

cheers, Euan

It's a good job you mentioned magnesium, I'd forgotten about that and had intended to weld up a crack on the clutch casing :scared1:

It's only a percentage of magnesium in aluminium typically 0.3 to 3% and will weld with 5356 tig rod but they are prone to cracking.

Yeah I saw that one, as it stands I only need a chain now although there is slight damage to the recoil starter housing (may contact the seller to see if he has a spare) All the chains have are too short and I'm having difficulty figuring out what size it takes, looks bigger than 3/8.

The bar is Oregon marked as 33425 and 2863N2905

28", .063, N2905 will probably stand for either a hard nose and the mount pattern, or if it's a roller nose, then it'll be the chain size and mount pattern

For the chain size, the next size up is 7/16" then 1/2". Both are extremely rare chain sizes

My girlfriends 550 after a new oil pump , clutch , piston and ring and light port work, saw already had a muffler mod but was relieved after a chat with Steve about opening up ports to much ,it ran great after ringing up some sycamore.. Pick up and revs still great and no apparent torque loss and should get stronger once the ring has bedded in properly.

Can start on the dolmar 166 :)