What's on your bench today?

spudulike

To answer the question, tracking through a bad insulator will make the saw either a non runner or will make is sound very flat, misfires and unable to rev plus if you touch the cap, you will light up:blushing::lol:

Not too sure about Makita but to remove the flywheel you need a piston stop in, spin off the flywheel nut and then pop a large screwdriver between the back of the flywheel and engine and tap it lightly in and holding the saw up by the flywheel, belt the crank end WITH A MALLET NOT A HAMMER and the flywheel may come off.

There are pullers that grip on location holes, on Stihls they screw in to the central boss and some have legs that grip the outer edge of the flywheel (use the magnet section - it is stronger) but access is often an issue.

Once off, make sure the flywheel to crank key is in one piece. You can set the flywheel without one but it is an interesting experiance:lol:

Cheers spud. I am going to try a new spark plug first and see if that makes any difference. Then it will of had a new plug and new coil. I seem to be getting in deeper and deeper without a clue of what im doing,but if its the only way to learn !!!!!!

If you get stuck............

Get yourself a flywheel holding tool, NOT ONE OF THESE HORRIBLE PISTON STOPS, i hate them, as for hitting the end of the crank with a mallet, be very very careful.

I use the plastic Stihl piston stop to good effect and a piece of cord if the squish band is a bit angled and the Stihl one slips out. The metal ones are a big no no as they can crack the piston crown. By MALLET, I am meaning a hard nylon one and not a copper one or hammer!

Not seen the flywheel grip, get a pic up :thumbup:

Ok, i have changed the spark plug, and i believe it has made a small difference. However after a few minutes reving, it still starts to sort of miss and sound like an automatic gun going off, also this time i have noticed the front top cover plastic getting extremely hot. Could this just be a damaged gaskit between exhaust and manifold.

Also how do i find the correct settings for the 'H', 'L' and 'I' screws.

I have looked/ felt at the flywheel ( not removed it, no tools ) and it doesnt seem damaged/ slipped, what am i meant to look at.

Getting frustrated with myself for not knowing what to do now.

Thanks

The heat could be lean mix or pre ignition,both are bad news in engines and could severely damage it.

You could align the magnets with the coil and see if the Piston is just before top dead centre but it sounds like you are getting out of your depth without meaning to insult you!

:thumbup: :thumbup: No worries spud, i'm completely out of my depth and frustrated as well. Dont know what to do, trade it in or send it to you ( if thats possible )

Not worth trading it in, you can take it to a local or send it in, choice is always yours. I would advise not running it until the flywheel is inspected.