What's on your bench today?

spudulike

Any pictures of your bench Barrie?:sneaky2:

[ATTACH]173202[/ATTACH]

Just some spanners😃

You have a most enviable collection of tools Mr Div.

Even in my Ag days I neither had, or needed, such a selection.

And now, with only small kit to repair I only keep a small selection of mismatched tools to hand on top of the bench. The bigger stuff is in a tool chest which is very untidy and seldom opened.:blushing:

P1010087.jpg.1826ac32a28692678e24474f01fb42a4.jpg

P1000551.jpg.44b0062423b2c8bdabf6e2df6ab482c7.jpg

You have a most enviable collection of tools Mr Div.

Even in my Ag days I neither had, or needed, such a selection.

And now, with only small kit to repair I only keep a small selection of mismatched tools to hand on top of the bench. The bigger stuff is in a tool chest which is very untidy and seldom opened.:blushing:

[ATTACH]173215[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]173216[/ATTACH]

Thanks very much! That's a cool bench even the odd snap on bit of gear 😃 I think I have shares in snap on :blushing:

Sharp eyes there div. TBH I had managed for 35 years on the tools without buying SnapOn.

Torx screws were not around when I started but later on in my career they became popular so I bought Draper. They lasted a few years (the T27 gets the most use obviously) before wearing out. I replaced with Halfords, but they too wore out. So I thought it was time to invest (heavily) in a Snap On set.

But they lasted less time than the Halfords ones. Not only did they wear out, but some even just sheared off. Absolute pile of carp in my opinion. The rep even told me when I bought them that their lifetime warranty would not apply if I wore them out.

I have now replaced most with Facom which are absolutely brilliant.

So never again will anything SnapOn grace my bench! But each to their own.

Sharp eyes there div. TBH I had managed for 35 years on the tools without buying SnapOn.

Torx screws were not around when I started but later on in my career they became popular so I bought Draper. They lasted a few years (the T27 gets the most use obviously) before wearing out. I replaced with Halfords, but they too wore out. So I thought it was time to invest (heavily) in a Snap On set.

But they lasted less time than the Halfords ones. Not only did they wear out, but some even just sheared off. Absolute pile of carp in my opinion. The rep even told me when I bought them that their lifetime warranty would not apply if I wore them out.

I have now replaced most with Facom which are absolutely brilliant.

So never again will anything SnapOn grace my bench! But each to their own.

Noooooo hahaha just brake them and you will get new 1s that's what my rep tells me, I get tools replaced if the chrome starts to chip/flacks off

The other mechanics in work buy other tools but as you say each to their own, just a snob I suppos :001_tongue:

Noooooo hahaha just brake them and you will get new 1s that's what my rep tells me, I get tools replaced if the chrome starts to chip/flacks off

The other mechanics in work buy other tools but as you say each to their own, just a snob I suppos :001_tongue:

Haha, but you still have a very nice collection of tools, I must admit to being a little jealous.

I can just imagine them being all Facom.......... Oh, how I would polish them, tidy them, drool over them........... (and the chrome would never flake!)

Why do socket sets have chrome? Eventually the chrome flakes and bits ping off. Usually when working directly over-head. And talking about annoying things. It's raining and water is rapidly dropping onto a bucket outside, dronk-dronk-dronk... sounds like popping fireworks far off.

Edited by TGB

Why do socket sets have chrome? Eventually the chrome flakes and bits ping off.

That's chrome plating and is only done on cheap tools to make them look shiny for magpies to collect them. Proper quality tools have the chrome in the steel not on top ;)

Why do socket sets have chrome? Eventually the chrome flakes and bits ping off. Usually when working directly over-head. And talking about annoying things. It's raining and water is rapidly dropping onto a bucket outside, dronk-dronk-dronk... sounds like popping fireworks far off.

I have a selection of teng socket sets for that reason.

They have like a flat matt silver anodised finish.

I got fed up of picking flakes of chrome out my fingers with a needle and you certainly know about it if its on an air ratchet at the time when it embeds itself in your finger, will cut like a razor.

I have to say I flogged most of my snap on gear from my younger main dealer mechanic days when all nuts,bolts and screws etc where all nice and mainly less than 3 years old. They didn't take well to being used on agricultural equipment and landrovers where rust and sometimes heat required and the odd heavy handedness was required. On top of that they actually got DIRTY and OILY and we all know you cant have snap on if that how you treat them and stick them back in your tool chest... :lol:

The bane of my life came back in my life to haunt me today

Partner k650 cut off saw..

In the past 9 months the coils gone down (common fault) then a mild seize which I managed to clean up, seized again several months later after being straight gassed, then a new carb kit and fuel line...

Then today it returned, cut out half way thru cutting.

Spark-tick

Compression-150psi tick

Fuel-nope

Spoon of fuel down the plughole- tick (she fired)

So carb strip and clean still no joy, restrip carb and still dry. Check and double check needle valve and diaphragms and all correct

Ok best check fuel line/filter - tick all good there (no holes or blockages)

After much head scratching and double checking of things it ended up being the main crank seal behind the flywheel had blown out!!

Luckily had a new Husqvarna chainsaw seal the same size and put a new one in with a fine smear of quick setting gloop around it and a few pulls it lives again!