What's on your bench today?

spudulike

I thought I might share this. A 4yr old Tanaka 27cc brushcutter from a local garden centre came in for what they thought was a simple recoil repair. But the engine was siezed tight. A couple of minutes the exhaust off for piston inspection, but the piston looked fine, so another 5 minutes and the pot was off (these tanakas are so easy to work on)

It appears that a needle roller from the big end bearing had come out and found its way up the transfer port. It was then picked up by the piston and pushed up to the top of the cylinder. At this point the piston wedged tight.

This is the first mechanical failure of a Tanaka engine (i.e not fuel or oil related) that I have ever seen in 25 years of selling and servicing the product.

The engine has gone away to Tanaka for warranty investigation.

[ATTACH]166028[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]166029[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]166030[/ATTACH]

Still amazed it had more damage to the plated bore than on the softer alloy piston Barry.

Had some very interesting news today, it seems I am PMing a member on this site all the time asking for his help on how to fix saws.

I have only ever had help from Barrie (Gardenkit) on a few tricky spares and also Burrell (Martin) who kindly has done some machining for me to my specification and it was neither of them:001_rolleyes: I have discussions on porting with WYK (Wes) but that is very much a sharing of interests rather than help - sort of US meets UK:thumbup: Wasn't him either!

I guess I should laugh at it as it has shown up someone elses insecurity but am none to happy TBH!

Name and shame lol :thumbup:

Been a bit manic with actual proper work this week (including popping in to see Gardenkit/Barry)

This week has involved 2 engine rebuilds on a ms230 and an 021 due to crank seals. Cant believe the ms230 actually ran albeit poorly as 1 seal the centre of the seal had totally deteriorated from the outer ring.

Next an 026 with a bad impulse line.

An interesting 357 which I will go into when I get chance with a few pics etc due to the pot actually being fractured and broken near the base yet still ran with bad airleak issues! Still ongoing as waiting for a carb kit.

This afternoon ive been playing with wickamulla 's 365 hybred and fitted an 064 piston etc

Hi Steve and Wisco

Managed to get back to the 435 again, as suggested, pulled it over on full choke 15 times without using the bulb and got fuel in both pumping and metering chambers. Fuel lines appear ok ( blow down the long one that goes to the bulb and fuel comes out of the carb fuel pipe and holds pressure if you do the same thing with your finger over the end. Seriously stuck now.......

If everything in the carb appears ok, and the hoses are correctly connected ( purge pulling fuel from the carb, into the bulb, and dumping back to tank ) the fuel filter in the tank is clear, then do not rule out the ignition unit, it is a fairly cheap unit, i have changed quite a few of these due to similar running issues.

Just had another thought, not to be funny but you did fit the piston round the right way, this is an X Torq engine, so has channels on the inlet side of the piston to fill the tops of the transher ports with air thus reducing emmisions due to none of the fresh charge lost out of the exhaust port.