Ratchet strap accident!

onelab

Wanted to give everyone some info and hopefully prevent future accidents.

One of my colleagues was called out to a work accident site to give his opinion.

A lowering device was secured with ratchet straps. It appeared that the webbing had been pulled too tight before using the ratchet mechanism, meaning there was very little webbing overlap around the ratchet's spindle.

The ratchet straps failed under load severely injuring one of the arborists.

Lets all make sure we're using our equipment right (I'm as guilty as the next person) and looking after ourselves and our work mates.

All the best

Dan

Were the straps lolered? I used ratchets on a flying capstan because my boss wouldn't buy a proper sling, or I think you can get proper ratchets for lowering blocks etc. After they failed taking the top out of a big dead cedar, I was seriously shaken and unimpressed. Funny how I refused to do it like that again! Legislation is there for a reason, as is training...

Hope he's ok

Were the straps lolered? I used ratchets on a flying capstan because my boss wouldn't buy a proper sling, or I think you can get proper ratchets for lowering blocks etc. After they failed taking the top out of a big dead cedar, I was seriously shaken and unimpressed. Funny how I refused to do it like that again! Legislation is there for a reason, as is training...

Hope he's ok

Doesnt sound like a loler issue....if you read the post through again, i think he means not enough of the strap was ratcheted through so it just pulled clean out of the ratchet device

I don't know the regs but many friction systems use say 2 wraps for enough friction to hold, but with a ratchet strap it wraps x2 at a time so it could give the impression there are enough turns when in fact it needs more to hold or the operator has stopped because the device has jammed.

Also note rachetstraps are not rated as a lifting device, so shouldn't be part of a lifting system.

I have recently brought a load of ratchet straps of higher load rating and chain products on line from the 'ratchetshop', quality products.