Ash cord wood

philg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck, i would'nt pay that for seasoned ash delivered in.

Wtf is going on with the price of cord

i was just thinking the same... i've just bought a tractor unit with various trailers.. one of which is a tri axle timber trailer with front mount crane, 5, 2.4 metre bays... it carries around 26 ton... i thought i'd be able to buy cord anywhere for £30 a ton.. £35 tops.. put a post on here for cordwood for sale at £50 a ton and make few quid out the haulage... think i've sourced 300 ton of mixed hardwood [mostly ash and birch] but its lot harder than i thought it was gonna be.... i can buy as much beech as i want from my usual guy at £50 a ton delivered so thats price i'm going on... at £60 a ton plus around another £15 ton haulage is there any money to be made... i;d be suprised if there was more than 40 1 cubic metre loads from 25 ton... so if you charge £80 a metre your gonna earn £1325... less time processing which is gonna take min 2 days for 2 men so roughly £300 in labour.. so your profir is £25.50 a load less your time delivering, diesel in truck and tractor.. advertising and wear and tear on machinery, truck etc........ best thing is stay in bed and you'l be better off....

i was just thinking the same... i've just bought a tractor unit with various trailers.. one of which is a tri axle timber trailer with front mount crane, 5, 2.4 metre bays... it carries around 26 ton... i thought i'd be able to buy cord anywhere for £30 a ton.. £35 tops.. put a post on here for cordwood for sale at £50 a ton and make few quid out the haulage... think i've sourced 300 ton of mixed hardwood [mostly ash and birch] but its lot harder than i thought it was gonna be.... i can buy as much beech as i want from my usual guy at £50 a ton delivered so thats price i'm going on... at £60 a ton plus around another £15 ton haulage is there any money to be made... i;d be suprised if there was more than 40 1 cubic metre loads from 25 ton... so if you charge £80 a metre your gonna earn £1325... less time processing which is gonna take min 2 days for 2 men so roughly £300 in labour.. so your profir is £25.50 a load less your time delivering, diesel in truck and tractor.. advertising and wear and tear on machinery, truck etc........ best thing is stay in bed and you'l be better off....

then thers the vat!!!!!! isnt there ???:001_tongue:

then thers the vat!!!!!! isnt there ???:001_tongue:

god yeah.. forgot that.. i get it back but most wont... guy i was trying to buy some cord from today said the biomass boilers is whats messed the cord price up.. he says there paying 60 a ton and more to chip it... and its gonna get worse... i can buy quite a bit at 35 a ton over next few months.. some with vat.. some without.. and i'll be selling it for min of 50 a ton delivered... thats for localish delivery..

It makes me smile all these threads about cord being to dear when someone advertises some timber. I dont think its going to cause the price to drop!

I think you guys that think you will be able to keep buying cord at £30/ton are kidding yourselves, not by the time the timbers been felled. Decent cutters arent cheap, Extraction isnt cheap, diesel is going up a lot, most the nice easy woods have now been thinned and there isnt going to be the ready supply of quick and easy firewood processor sized cord wood about in the surpluses there has been in the past, all the indications are that its going to be in exceptionally short supply after about 2018 as the accelerating rate of firewood production will mean that most blocks will have been thinned by then and there will be a lag before any more is available. All the new planting schemes for hardwoods wont be producing timber for about another 10years at the earliest. I think that if people sit on their cord surplus's untill winter, if we have a cold snap like last year there were guys begging for timber on here!

I have heard of several site across the eastern side of the country with hardwood cord making £50+ at Roadside, so for ash that could conceivably be run through a process now and still sold this winter, I would hold out for the £60 if thats whats needed to turn a profit!

oh and the fact that everyone thinks firewood is the thing to be in, so have been rushing out buy processors its forcing prices up, demand is rising at an amazing rate, as are the number of people wanting cord. When i was a kid i think there were three local estates doing a bit of firewood locally on wet days as some extra income. Now i know i have at least 7people with processors within 10miles of here!

Edited by Charlieh

Because the price has hit £52 at roadside we decided not to bother this year because my customers wont pay 30% more for their logs why should I. I have bought a few token loads to keep my really good customers and my house supplied. But in the last few weeks I have found the forests are full of unsold cord and have bought alot for next year at £35 a tonne. :thumbup1: