PTO Chippers on over hp tractors

Charlieh

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we run a Junkkari 10 inch chipper on out 1600 unimog (160hp) we run the chipper on 1000 pto on low revs , this was the advice form a green mech rep at the time i was looking to buy a new chipper , i have not read the whole thread but feel i should ask is the chipper direct drive or belt driven ?

I run a 9" Schliesing on the front of my mog, which is 245HP, its belt driven so if anything goes wrong the belts just vaporise, meaning no damage to mog or chipper.

As Stevie says you can just put it on 1000 and lowish revs, saves fuel and reduces noise.

Cheers guys, I didnt have a specific chipper in mind, was just wondering at this moment in time just boucing ideas about on bits of paper really, and if the idea wasnt a goer then would stop looking, I have a big MF2720 which sits on a baler in summer but spends 9months of the year doing nothing and was wondering about getting a bigger chipper on it, as it would spead up hedge restoration and wetland work over winter, and has the potential to hire out as well.

I ran 210 hp through a 100hp chipper for 5 years, no probs, no no stress either. No stress is there to help an underpowered engine.

if the tractor has 1000 speed then put it in that, keep the revs a bit lower and chip away

I run a 8 inch pto chipper on a tractor twice its recommended hp on 1000 rpm pto speed. Makes the tractor work harder, therefore less stress and the lower engine speed gives better fuel economy.

Just make sure you are running at 540 rpm pto speed on the actual pto not just pulling throttle back to 1000 rpm setting or you will stress the chipper!

There have been some wise comments from many sources on this subject, I'm glad to say.

A hoss power limit is recommended for a reason, it may be that that is all a certain component is rated too, or what is reasonably requested for economy. Running a big HP unit in 1000speed at a lower rpm certainly reduces the hp and strain on the machine ( and increases fuel efficiency and reduces noise pollution etc) and would be the way to go. A shear pin in the shaft is certainly a cheap weak link that should stop the chipper input shaft from knackering and a correctly adjusted slip clutch is another safety device. But, if you only need, say, a 9" chipper, why put waste input energy on huge HP? Why not match the tractor to the tool a bit like using a 880 with a 18" bar?