VT

Mark Bolam

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To get a good match between the climbing rope and the tress cord I stick with 4 wraps and two braids and then keep shortening the tress cord until the combination works perfectly!

If it slips, creeps or just does not grab the tress cord is to long.

This means scaffold knots on the tress cord of course.

Does anyone ever asend on this system? Ive noticed that when you pull the dead end of your climbing line to work the pulley and VT up the line and let go you always get that little bit of movement until the pussik cord tightens

I use it for ascending every day. It bites fine, if the cords have the right lenght. If they are too long, the VT looses it shape and have to be dressed before it bites on the rope.

The "Soft heat" is from Freeworker.de

I find it difficult to see how 'ascending' on a vt is any more effective than a basic prussic with a micro-pulley.

I accept that this is a more efficient system once you have accessed the crown.

I have just got my head around the use of the VT thanks to the forum and Tana Mahuta (ross) to whom it is second nature.

I would find it difficult to ascend a long climb on a vt alone. The answer for me is to Access the tree on a basic prussic. Then install the vt....and go play

To me its definietly faster than a prussic ascending, after you have got your head around it!

PD you have your vt tied very simular to the way i tie mine ,a lot of the guys i see using it have very short legs with mimium wraps.

Tryed it shorter for a couple of weeks and switched back on friday and its so much nicer,a bit of sit back but i like the hitch further away from the work position and i think it helps the rope from twisting and coiling.