Mast year

David Humphries

why is there sterile ones?

Because :

(1) a less vital or terminally ill oak with diminishing foliage and photosynthesis only produces enough energy to form 30 % fertile seeds, and

(2) lacks tree species specific ectomycorrhizal macrofungi, such as Russula and Lactarius species, that support the fruiting of the tree by uptaking nitrogen and phosphorus - essential for (re)production of DNA - and transport it to the tree roots, which makes "normal" yearly blossoming and fruiting possible, and that is why

(3) a mast year is a sign of wealth, and panic fruiting is a symptom of poverty.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

A colleague sent me their thoughts & observations regarding when last there was such a heavy (South east) 'mast year'

From their diary................ " I looked back, and the last time I wrote "tons of acorns" was October 6, 2005. There are similarities in the weather of that year and this, in that we had really hot days in March and the first week of April ( that were more summer-like in heat intensity), and both years were also preceeded by pretty cold winters."

Also reminiscing that............. "lots of acorns, and beefsteak fungi and yellow Russula sp in September 1999, and again this year, lots of yellow Russula sp are around (this year)"

This has inspired & taught me the value in recording down what we see.

Usually I just photo record everything in sight (which obviously has a date tag)

but this doesn't do justice to the events & story of the seasons.

Gonna get me a diary & one of those archaic fandangled pen thingamy-bobs :biggrin:

A colleague sent me their thoughts & observations regarding when last there was such a heavy (South east) 'mast year'

From their diary................ " I looked back, and the last time I wrote "tons of acorns" was October 6, 2005. There are similarities in the weather of that year and this, in that we had really hot days in March and the first week of April ( that were more summer-like in heat intensity), and both years were also preceeded by pretty cold winters."

Also reminiscing that............. "lots of acorns, and beefsteak fungi and yellow Russula sp in September 1999, and again this year, lots of yellow Russula sp are around (this year)"

David,

Maybe you could draw your colleages' attention to the synopsis of what I wrote in Der Tintling on the subject of climate, trees (mast year) and ectomycorrhizal macrofungi.

• 5 years later...