Wootton Bassett: a mark of respect after a job well done!

button1803

I am sure all fellow arbtalkers will agree with me what a brilliant job Wootton Bassett has done for our country in remembering the fallen hero's who have returned home in this unfortunate way due to war.

For me, Wootton Bassett has done our country proud :thumbup1:

As me and my work mate said the other day, when you read the paper and you see the pictures of the fallen coming home this way, and you see the grief and sadness that is left behind, wifes, girlfriends, pregnant mothers etc especially the children that have to face a life with out a dad/mum because they were keeping us safe from extremists.

The fallen are the real hero's of this country followed by Wootton Bassett.

RAF Brize norton will continue this hounour but i would just like to say, as im sure many of you will also:

WOOTTON BASSETT - YOU HAVE DONE US PROUD AND WHAT A FINE JOB YOU HAVE DONE REMEMBERING OUR HERO'S. :thumbup1:

yesterday was the poignant moment when the proud patriots of Wootton Bassett lowered the Union Flag to mark the end of the repatriation of fallen heroes through their streets.

For four years the tiny Wiltshire market town has been the gateway home for troops who pay the ultimate sacrifice.

Locals have turned out 167 times as hearses carried a total of 345 flag-draped coffins on their way to the mortuary.

Wootton Bassett's tribute started spontaneously with a handful of people – but grew to hundreds lining the High Street in respectful silence.

It all began when repatriation flights were moved to nearby RAF Lyneham from RAF Brize Norton and the bodies of the fallen servicemen passed through the town on their way to the coroner's office.

But the scenes which won Wootton Bassett a special place in the nation's heart will no longer be seen here or elsewhere.

Britain's fleet of Hercules planes has returned to Brize Norton in Oxfordshire and a repatriation centre has been built there, so the bodies of fallen soldiers will no longer have to travel through a town.

As Wootton Bassett prepared for last night's solemn ceremony, the finishing touches were being made to a memorial garden on the outskirts of Carterton, near Brize Norton, where a new flagpole will host the Union Flag from Wootton Bassett.

Last night, at three minutes to eight, the slow, mournful toll of the ancient tenor bell began to sound out from Wootton Bassett's St Bartholomew's church.

Then, as the sun dipped below the horizon, the bell fell silent and old soldiers bedecked with medals stood heads bowed, shoulder to shoulder, with the citizens of the town and the ceremony to lower the flag began. Almost as soon as it had started it was over. The folded flag was carried with reverence to St Bartholomew's and a poignant era came to an appropriately dignified end.

Thirteen minutes to bring to a close four years of loyal remembrance that has made the Wiltshire town a household name and a byword for respect.

Thirteen minutes to mark the 167 repatriation ceremonies that have passed through the town.

Thirteen minutes to signal the last of 345 fallen servicemen and women who were given the kind of honour the nation owed them on the High Street of Wootton Bassett.

Mayor Paul Heaphy told the thousands who filled the closed High Street it was the dedication of the repatriated soldiers that had commanded the town's respect.

He said: "It is their devotion to duty that will be remembered long after this ceremony."

The folded flag was then handed to Canon Thomas Woodhouse to keep overnight on the altar of St Bartholomew's before being handed to the people of Oxfordshire this morning.

With that the band played Deep Harmony, the crowds politely applauded and, with a final three cheers for Wootton Bassett, they melted away into the night.

From this morning, the town's reward for its devotion is to be known as Royal Wootton Bassett, a gift from The Queen that will be officially celebrated in October.

Bell-ringer Roger Haydock, 58, tolled the bell for the sunset ceremony. He said: "I feel a degree of privilege that I have been available to ring the bell to honour the men and women being brought home.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"because they were keeping us safe from extremists." .... if thats what you believe.

I am in awe of the bravery and professionalism of those young lads but Ging makes a good point, they are there (iraq&afghanistan) to protect economic and political interests, does not make them any less brave but for me those are the reasons.

"because they were keeping us safe from extremists." .... if thats what you believe.

I am in awe of the bravery and professionalism of those young lads but Ging makes a good point, they are there (iraq&afghanistan) to protect economic and political interests, does not make them any less brave but for me those are the reasons.

Although i agree that fallen soldiers should probably be remembered, I am struggling VERY hard with the 'hero' part of it.

They are soldiers. They signed up. They went to a bollox war for illegitemate reasons under the banner of anti-terrorism. That makes it even worse. Heros get the V.C.

I have to (cautiously) agreee with the above two quotes aswell as the original sentiment of the thread.:001_smile:

tommer, i couldnt agree more mate. when i was 16 i signed up for the royal marines but due to a motorbike accident i had to with draw. I understand what your saying about they signed up. I was fully aware of the risks and what could happen. i do not disagree with what you said, but its the families i feel for for their loss, especially the children, agree, they signed up, they knew what could happen, but im just trying to show my appreciation and gratidue i have for Wootten Bassett for something they did not have to do for are fallen.