Log delivery prices per mile thanks

mendiplogs

its been seasoned for 2 yrs and is very dry.. took 400 loads out on old transit last season which was all beech and ash and lot heavier than this mixed hard wood thats more seasoned and they were bigger 1.5 metre loads... wouldnt have clue what weight was..

Sure is a lot of loads in a season Nick, do you deliver yourself or one of your lads?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its been seasoned for 2 yrs and is very dry.. took 400 loads out on old transit last season which was all beech and ash and lot heavier than this mixed hard wood thats more seasoned and they were bigger 1.5 metre loads... wouldnt have clue what weight was..

HI nick ref your seasoned logs mate you said seasoned for 2 years is that split into logs then into barn for 2 years or is it cord you have for 2 years and not split thanks jon :thumbup:

HI nick ref your seasoned logs mate you said seasoned for 2 years is that split into logs then into barn for 2 years or is it cord you have for 2 years and not split thanks jon :thumbup:

the ones i've just moved have been cut and split and in shed for 2 yrs... the ones i sold last season were bought in in cord through last spring and summer and split straight away and delivered from end september onwards...

Sure is a lot of loads in a season Nick, do you deliver yourself or one of your lads?

i delivered everyone of those myself last yr.. was doing over 1000 miles a week once we got going... gonna have 2 transits delivering this season cos i wanna do more and because i should have everything split and ready for delivery by end of sept... got 80 ton beech my lads are gonna start sawin and splitin on monday..

i delivered everyone of those myself last yr.. was doing over 1000 miles a week once we got going... gonna have 2 transits delivering this season cos i wanna do more and because i should have everything split and ready for delivery by end of sept... got 80 ton beech my lads are gonna start sawin and splitin on monday..

do you mind me asking if you built your firewood business up from scratch nick or have took it on from father etc? suits farming very well doesnt it, will be my 4th year now and as a business its growing very quickly, and its making use of my tractor and other equipment that would otherwise not be doing much winter time

do you mind me asking if you built your firewood business up from scratch nick or have took it on from father etc? suits farming very well doesnt it, will be my 4th year now and as a business its growing very quickly, and its making use of my tractor and other equipment that would otherwise not be doing much winter time

had few regular customers but over 350 loads last season were all from adverts in several local papers.. i'm gonna advertise further a field this year... thing i like about firewood is a £40 a week small ad brings in a lot of calls and from my experience unlike tree work as long as you answer phone straight away you normaly get the order.. lot people round here sell 1 cubic metre for £70.. hence reason i sell 1.3 for £80... might be bit too cheap but i bet out of 10 calls i'll get 8 orders min...especially as it gets further into winter..

The other thing that gets the business is delivery within a day or so. Amazing how people often wait 6 weeks for a delivery.

that was good thing with takin 3 loads at time out... if i had 2 going to furthest point of my advertisin area which coulda been 20 or more miles away and 1 which was quite local.. then i recieved another order for that further area while i was travellig over there i'd do it straight away.. then back to yard, load up with forklift then off again.... very often i'd only have 5 or 6 loads booked in but end up doing up to 15 loads... they do love it when i say i can be there in next hour or so...

You run an efficient set-up I reckon Nick.

I get visions of a middle aged woman chain-smoker with a taxi-controller head-set sat in an office beside a big map running your show!

Have you put the harvest to bed yet? Been bloody wet here in Kent this week.