Big beech takedown

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A last, someone said it. Well done. :thumbup1:

That's the quote that's been obvious since the thread was started. :thumbup::laugh1:

Why ?

I don't normally do great big takedowns, I know my limits to what I can \ can't or will \ won't take on, I thought the idea of the forum was to seek advice, help or ideas.....I see I might be wrong.

Also, I wanted the advice so I could make an informed decision on a request from a customer, rather than pass over the work, I would bring someone in to help......his was my 1st port of call.

Thanks to those that have helped with there advice and points of view, it is very much appreciated :thumbup1:

Why ?

I don't normally do great big takedowns, I know my limits to what I can can't or will won't take on, I thought the idea of the forum was to seek advice, help or ideas.....I see I might be wrong.

Also, I wanted the advice so I could make an informed decision on a request from a customer, rather than pass over the work, I would bring someone in to help......his was my 1st port of call.

Thanks to those that have helped with there advice and points of view, it is very much appreciated :thumbup1:

Quite right, it has been an entertaining thread anyway.

Why ?

I don't normally do great big takedowns, I know my limits to what I can can't or will won't take on, I thought the idea of the forum was to seek advice, help or ideas.....I see I might be wrong.

Nothing wrong with asking. If we all stayed within our comfort zone we would all still be using bowsaws off ladders.

I looked at a big contract recently, there's quite a lot of timber extraction to do as well as the arb work, I am out of my depth with this and so will be seeking advice from other contractors who do this work on a regular basis. AT is as you say here for you to ask questions, if you find some are disparaging its probably because they are resentful of any new competition, wherever they may be. So long as your questions aren't completely stupid, ask away...:001_smile:

Come on guys, lets not forget we all started somewhere. Its easy for some of us that have been around the block to look at this and think why is he asking these questions. As i understand it, that whats AT is all about, for people to ask questions and share info etc. etc.

Salix, feel free to ask as many questions as you like mate.

Why ?

Sorry Salix, you're quite right. A few of us are just having a laugh and so long as you recognise the good advice to glean out and ignore the moronic witt from the rest of us, you'll be fine.

The full picture can not be portayed in a few photos unless it's a cypress in the middle of a field so people just make comical guesses.

If you're bringing in an experienced freelancer then he is the person to ask how long it will take him. Work your costs forward from there (then add £600 etc).

Above all, be safe and don't forget my earlier curry related comments. My best friend is Indian and swears this is true.:thumbup1:

Salix,

From looking at the pics and your description of the work area that tree is worth somewhere between £2000 and £3000. Although the pics make the tree look relatively small for a big Beech so can't guarantee my price range is realistic which is the main problem with your type of questions on a web forum.

Unless your getting a crane and log truck/tractor trailer in - its worth remembering big removals done using normal rigging (especially Beech) are hard on the staff (manual lifting), the saws (hitting nails etc), the ropes (heavy weights), vehicles (big loads) and any other piece of equipment you bring to the job.

Remember things like clean up and removal of saw shavings.

When I made my first post I was really implying that you could easily make more money doing 3 to 4 smaller tree jobs in a shorter time than it would take to complete the Beech.

With a tree like that growing over the houses there is the risk of serious damage to property during the removal if something goes wrong. You said you may bring in someone with rigging experience, you should very sure they have good experience on this type of job before hiring them for the work.

Edited by scotspine1