screw splitter off chip feed wheel?

Timbermcpherson

I have been looking at mounting a wood splitter on my 6 inch chipper. The engine and hydraulics are all there, and the noisey little bugger follows me everywhere I go.

My thought was that it might be possible to mount a screw splitter off the feed wheel (its even got speed control and stop/reverse), my wheels hydraulics run straight off the 30hp engine so it can be operated without the disc running. So either fabricate a long shaft and have a removeable screw head or run a chain drive off the shaft. The chain drive would have the option of being able to "gear" it to suit.

My concerns are what kind grunt is required for a screw splitter and if theres an obvious problem I havent factored in. Any thoughts?

There is a bloke on here who runs a splitter of the hydraulics on his 6in timberwolf to good effect.

not a screw splitter the guillotine sort. He will pop up shortly i expect.

Might be Buzzsurgeon you mean. We were using it a coupel of weeks ago on a job and it worked well, much faster than running through the tractor and the oil never warmed up any more than normal.

I have seen a ram splitter on a vermeer (I think it was a 1230). It was mounted on the drawbar. It looked almost factory.

I like ram splitters but for the weight, cost, space and complexity of plumbing it in to the hydraulics, the ram seems to take second place to a screw cone.Running it off a V belt shouldnt be to hard.

Its strange but you would think it would be natural for chippers to have a splitter supplied as a factory add on, if they were there I am pretty sure arborists would put them to use on jobs, even if it was just to break bits down to chippable sizes.

Thanks for posting that thread, good info.

Edited by Timbermcpherson