USA vacation advice

Taupotreeman

Auckland to Hawaii

Hawaii to Anchorage AK

Anchorage to Seattle

Seattle to San Fran (see the Redwoods)

San Fran to LA

LA Back to Auckland

There is bugger all point flying all the way over the Continental US just to visit a city I reckon.The idyllic small town America does exist,but you probably won't find it just off an interstate.

All sounds very good, but you would need a holiday when you come home after all that trekking about. Twice in an airport on holiday is a enough for any human.

Just wait to next years south by southwest festival and get yourself to Texas. :thumbup:

Any reason for hating New York Steve? I'm not a big city person either, in fact the further away from people I am usually the happier I am. NY is more for the wife than me. And the surprise regarding small town America? This is why I need the pointers. I don't want to spend a fortune on a holiday I would rather forget.

New York....well the whole thing was a bad experience from start to finish. had i been in a different frame of mind, perhaps i may have enjoyed some of it. doubtful though.

As for the surprise regarding small town america....well...to be fair theres a lot of small towns, but from my experience they were pretty grim, run down areas with what could only be considered poverty. My wifes from there, and she did she her particular county was one of the poorer in the state though. Im sure theres nice places, i just personally wouldnt want to try and find them!

I would suggest the Sunshine State Florida. I am based in SW Florida and the summer is winding down and the heat is just starting to taper off a bit. It is not NYC and although I have visited NYC on about 6 different occasion's, would still give Florida a try, Prices are very good and will not be increasing until October when season begins. Many different things to do and learn about but not to the point of being overwhelmed. Next place I would suggest would be the Smokey Mountains National Park Lots of trees and nature hiking and generally a lot of fun. Prices for both locals are about the same.

Hope this helps, if you make it to Florida look me up for dinner out. Just PM your schedule. All the best.

elg

New York is a great city, its a bunch of villages and towns stuck tight together with their own histories, accents, and culture. If the intrepid is open (aircraft carrier) youll drive your lady nuts looking it over, its a great museum.

You can get a bus to six flags in new jersey for a day trip if you like theme parks or take the trip out to coney (sp) island for and old school kind of amusment park.

Its a big place, great museums (police museum), parks, and theres a good bus/train/subway system that can get you as far north as vermont for not that much $.

Dont forget shooting ranges, you can rent hand cannons in NJ or other states and go nuts, just do you homework and find one that will let you play.

Small town America? Thats easy, just look between the citys and stay away from the main roads. the campervan suggestion is excellent if you have the money for it.

The US is a big place, and its awesome

Been to a few places in the states but was snowboarding so i was staying away from the cities anyway. Best bet i would say is hire yourself a car when you get to san fran and head out to the grand canyon and the giant redwoods etc from there. We just went straight to the snow at tahoe and travelled at night so i didnt see anything really:thumbdown: