Zero tolerance for reductions

Jon Lad

I had a site meeting today with a tree officer, regarding an application to crown reduce by 20% and re-shape an ash tree.

The tree is too large for the size of garden in which it stands and such a reduction would have made the tree a more suitable size for its location.

The tree officer told me that their, the LPA, policy is not to allow any crown reductions of trees.

I was wondering how common this type of arbitrary approach is amongst LPA's.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's very odd. Did he/she explain why? Is it written in their tree policy (if they have one).

If you can't be shown a written copy of this 'policy' then it's not real.

If I were you I would still put the application in and then appeal if they refuse it. I can't see a Planning Inspector upholding such a ridiculous policy for all trees.

a few areas near me prefer to thin than reduce, trouble is i know the people thinning and its done badly IMO

Thinning can all too often become lion tailing! Plenty round here done by the council. They work out of mewps. Would not like to climb some of those trees without spikes. Probably couldn't!

It seems to me that the simple solution is to get your tree officers in your back pocket with back handers. That way you'll get the inside track on tenders, TPO's will be lifted to remove the hassle and you'll get the 'recommendations'.

Don't laugh, it's happening in my area right now and has been for ages!

It seems to me that the simple solution is to get your tree officers in your back pocket with back handers. That way you'll get the inside track on tenders, TPO's will be lifted to remove the hassle and you'll get the 'recommendations'.

Don't laugh, it's happening in my area right now and has been for ages!

all the council bods are corrupted mate, well IMOA