crazy cheap firewood

firewood

The truck is still gonna weigh the best part of 2.5 tonne, leaving say 1 tonne for the load, maybe he does it in 2 runs

Transit has ( or did have when I worked in the motor trade) a carrying capacity of 35 cwt. That will be reduced in the truck in the pic due to the weight of that tipper body. I would guess his legal carry capacity wont be more than 20 cwt, ie a bit over 1 cu m.

Looks like a stitch up, its not to far from me so I could do a bit of digging I suppose. If its anyone here can you please put your hand up at least to me.

Thanks

A

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Transit has ( or did have when I worked in the motor trade) a carrying capacity of 35 cwt. That will be reduced in the truck in the pic due to the weight of that tipper body. I would guess his legal carry capacity wont be more than 20 cwt, ie a bit over 1 cu m.

Looks like a stitch up, its not to far from me so I could do a bit of digging I suppose. If its anyone here can you please put your hand up at least to me.

Thanks

A

He should be able to carry 1000kg which is 3 cu metres of dry logs.

He should be able to carry 1000kg which is 3 cu metres of dry logs.

My 15% to 20% moisture logs weigh in at 630kg/m3, wish they were only 333kg/m3 as the courier I use ramps up the charges for anything over 500kg. They let me know exactly what my logs weigh in at and the range has always been 615 to 660kg per m3 bag. This works out with my yield that is 1.5 bags per tonne so the weights correlate.

If this guy is shipping 6m3 of hardwood he'd need to have had his transit upgraded with 7.5T springs and plated otherwise Mr. Ministry of the transport variety could take an interest. He'd also be better off selling the trees rather than splitting and seasoning seeing cord is fetching £60/T and he's bidding out 4 tonnes at £160. Seems a lot of sweat to make less.

My 15% to 20% moisture logs weigh in at 630kg/m3, wish they were only 333kg/m3 as the courier I use ramps up the charges for anything over 500kg. They let me know exactly what my logs weigh in at and the range has always been 615 to 660kg per m3 bag. This works out with my yield that is 1.5 bags per tonne so the weights correlate.

If this guy is shipping 6m3 of hardwood he'd need to have had his transit upgraded with 7.5T springs and plated otherwise Mr. Ministry of the transport variety could take an interest. He'd also be better off selling the trees rather than splitting and seasoning seeing cord is fetching £60/T and he's bidding out 4 tonnes at £160. Seems a lot of sweat to make less.

I dont understand how a cu metre of dry logs with airspace loose loaded can weigh 630kg when a solid cu metre of green timber weighs approx 1000kg. my 2cu metres of dry beech weighs in at 750kg

I think your moisture meter is wrong (or your not splitting a log and taking the reading from the middle) OR your being stitched up by your courier.

Theres no way on earth that a loose m3 bag of dry logs should weigh that much.

He is 100 miles from us so transport would kill it. I would not bid till you have seen what you are buying. I am sure he will have alot more go and see him.

I have viewed alot of skips full of processed logs in other locations and things are often not as described ie bins hold less than they thought, its green not seasoned, The load has a lot of trash in it, the small amount of softwood turns out to be 75% . Eye contact and handshake worth the trip if only down the road.

I think your moisture meter is wrong (or your not splitting a log and taking the reading from the middle) OR your being stitched up by your courier.

Theres no way on earth that a loose m3 bag of dry logs should weigh that much.

I must be doing something really wrong if everyone else is getting a m3 from 300kg of wood. Every time I have an artic load of logs delivered I typically yield 40 - 42 bags. I should be getting nearly 80 if they weighed in at 300kg/m3. Are you sure you aren't thinking of builders sand bags rather than m3 bags?

I don't think that the trader, haulier and my courier are all in collusion to spirit away half my wood. The artics look pretty full when they arrive.