i think i've upset my local stihl dealer

DN22 Gardening

Without trying to offend anyone, I cant believe people have the brass neck to do that ie buy cheaper elsewhere then expect the local guy to drop everything to help them out knowing they won't come back again unless theres a problem with something else, never mind brag about it:001_rolleyes:

Every single one of us would be fuming if a tree customer did that to us.

" I know you didnt do the tree work as you were too expensive so I used someone else but I need you to come around and sort a few problems out for free if you dont mind":lol:

So, how many of us would be round there like a shot showing them what they missed out on by not hiring us in the first place, and they will surely use us in the future?

Or would we all tell them to bugger off and that they shouldnt have been tight gits in the first place?:laugh1:

Very well put :thumbup1:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a small dealer.i can understand the customer can save a few qiud and go else were ,thats just business isnt it,but we have many customers who will happly pay a few quid more,or in many cases the same price as an internet purchase,As they know when things go wrong we will sort it out,Just last week we stayed till gone midnight sorting a good customers chipper out who needed it the next day,hes loyal to us ,so as a company we are loyal to him and many others.If the local man doesnt jump through hoops if you take an internet purchased machine in,Dont be to shocked as he may be lookin after his own customers,Give the local guy a chance ,yes some are better than others i know,You never know it may not be that bad,as my staff and myself,and many other smaller dealers realy do care about what we do,Thanks gb

For stuff my local dealers sell I buy off them but for stuff they don't I buy on line. My local dealer does a good price and while they can't match on price they do look after me. I can take it back if I have any problems. I do think people have a cheek to buy off the net and then take to local dealer when there are problems and expect the dealer to drop everything to sort it.

As a small dealer.i can understand the customer can save a few qiud and go else were ,thats just business isnt it,but we have many customers who will happly pay a few quid more,or in many cases the same price as an internet purchase,As they know when things go wrong we will sort it out,Just last week we stayed till gone midnight sorting a good customers chipper out who needed it the next day,hes loyal to us ,so as a company we are loyal to him and many others.If the local man doesnt jump through hoops if you take an internet purchased machine in,Dont be to shocked as he may be lookin after his own customers,Give the local guy a chance ,yes some are better than others i know,You never know it may not be that bad,as my staff and myself,and many other smaller dealers realy do care about what we do,Thanks gb

Well said:001_smile:

Every business has to make a profit or it goes under, I understand this perfectly

You can't sell things, make no money and stay in business or if you do then I can't see how you can offer any sort of service...

but asking customers to pay overinflated prices isn't the way to build a loyal customer base.

Surely customer service is the way to build a loyal customer base?

And exactly what are over inflated prices - retail price for instance?

Not having a go at you in particular DN22 - but in my experience - if you make no money on something = poor customer service....

So how about those that sell very cheaply AND offer good service?

IMO - chainsaws are like bread in the supermarket - very price dependent and sold almost at cost - yet rarely do you go into a supermarket and just buy bread....

:001_smile:

I bought my saw over the net but from a fairly local dealer, World of Power Buxton so if it does go wrong I will only have to go about 30 miles with it and it's only a hobby for me so down time is not really a problem and it's a nice ride out from here :D

Interesting thread.

I have a question for everyone. What would you expect to pay for a generator Incl vat that I buy in trade from the manufacturer for £3000.00

In 21 years I have never received a penny from a manufacturer for warranty work it just does not happen.

Often we have to spend hours finding out what the customer wants then un pack and commission set before we deliver to site.

We tend to avoid most enquires now unless they are regular customers.

We still get people ring up for advice pick our brains then buy online.

Interesting thread.

I have a question for everyone. What would you expect to pay for a generator Incl vat that I buy in trade from the manufacturer for £3000.00

In 21 years I have never received a penny from a manufacturer for warranty work it just does not happen.

Often we have to spend hours finding out what the customer wants then un pack and commission set before we deliver to site.

We tend to avoid most enquires now unless they are regular customers.

We still get people ring up for advice pick our brains then buy online.

I don't know what I would expect to pay because I wouldn't know the trade on it. I know what I'd like to sell it for: 50% mark up to give 30% profit. Realistically I'd knock off 10% and reduce profit by 30%.

I dallied for a while in a retail trade where discounts were rife and £500 items were being sold with a fiver profit in them. If they broke then the customer was in demanding spares which involved phone calls and time etc. They'd bring in something they'd bought off a discount retailer via mail order, bragging about the price and asking me to set it up!

I'd have happily shot the lot of them.

I don't know what I would expect to pay because I wouldn't know the trade on it. I know what I'd like to sell it for: 50% mark up to give 30% profit. Realistically I'd knock off 10% and reduce profit by 30%.

I dallied for a while in a retail trade where discounts were rife and £500 items were being sold with a fiver profit in them. If they broke then the customer was in demanding spares which involved phone calls and time etc. They'd bring in something they'd bought off a discount retailer via mail order, bragging about the price and asking me to set it up!

I'd have happily shot the lot of them.

After a few more views I will tell you what I will accept, and what the market will stand.

Just for info we tend not to deal with small sets now especially from the public and rarely get involved with repairs. Most of our work is Large commercial standby equipment for industry.

We never sell, service or repair chinese equipment.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're only making £100 on the whole deal. Out of interest does the manufacturer advertise a retail price on the generator?

I now buy only from local suppliers if I can for any product/service. Luckily my saw dealer is competitive. Hopefully money spent locally is distributed locally.

Edited by Graham