Stopped smoking....

toprotter

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll be upfront now, i never intended to quit at all. I liked smoking, I enjoyed the aroma of a new pouch being unsealed....lovely. Then I went to the docs last Wednesday. my laryngitis had been dragging on for weeks, around 8, and not clearing. Thats why I went to the Docs. First thng she said was, Your in the 46-54 age group, you smoke heavily, chronic laryngitis such as yours can be a sign of throat cancer, you will be going to the Cancer clinic within a fortnight to be checked out. And i go next Tuesday. it scared the crap out of me, brought it home big time how much I am abusing my body, and how vulnerable we are. Now I know all the excuses, I made up more than I've heard over the years. Cancer will get you whether you smoke or not, you have to go somehow blah blah blah. I never want to hear that word again in my life.

Dont just think about giving up, just do it, not for me, the NHS, but for yourself, you dont need it. (I hope I never start again!!)

PS in the event that I do start again, I have pledged 50 quid to the Childrens Trust, as has another prominent Arbtalk Administrator

Edited by Andy Collins

Same here, hope everything works out good. I gave up the pot last year despite enjoying a smoke to chill after a long day. Just wasn't conducive to putting in a good day's work the following day. Unfortunately cigarettes replaced that but as you get older you realise that you're not bullet proof anymore so I finally gave that the flick too. I very rarily drink these days either. Strangely enough though the hardest thing to give up that I was addicted too was nasal decongestant.

Andy,

took balls to put that out there and wish you nothing but the grace of god....x

Not at all.... if making one person stop and think before having their next ciggie, or even leading them to give up, then its done some good. We all are made aware of the risks these days, and we take our chances and puff away. Ignorance is no longer an excuse, its just plain stupidity. (BTW, this comment isnt aimed at anyone else, but myself)

Thanks guys, 'twas the nudge I needed.

I've smoked since I was thirteen, and have been trying to stop since my wife first got pregnant, 4 years ago. For some reason I just really want to, and even when I'd managed to not smoke for months on end I'd suddenly find myself with a fag on the lip, having bought the tobacco on the way to work without even thinking about it.

Of late I've been quite good but still smoked ocasionally until this morning, and this thread. I was out scything and rolled a fag and before I'd half lit it an overwhelming urge to take control of myself (combined with a gag-reflex) decended over me. I shall be a good boy and never smoke again!

I've taken the first step in the Arbtalk non-smoking program and ceremoniously planted both my 5lb Gilpin axe and my small GB forest axe in my pouch.

Good luck Andy, and Thanks to All

Sounds scary stuff Andy but here's hoping all is well.:thumbup1:

Good luck to everyone packing in, it's the best thing you can do to improve your health:thumbup:

I've packed in for not that far off 2 years now, well I have had the odd 1 and bought a packet of 10 not so long ago when I had some bad news :blushing: BUT I haven't touched any since and consider myself lucky I can have the odd smoke and not start right back up again.

I used patches, gum and one of those electric cigs all at the same time it was ace!:laugh1: apparently though using an aid can not only help you kick the habit but also maintain it and not go back.

My advice is to not think of yourself as a smoker trying to give up, just think of yourself as a non smoker.

Once again good luck all.