Firewood Price

haforbes

Look in your owners instruction manual. People do burn coal I know but it is not recommended. I have seen bags of ordinary house coal these days marked "not for use in stoves".

A

HI mate its better to burn logs then coal when the next door got there coal fire:lol: going you can not breath out in the garden all the best jon im on the logs:thumbup:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting customers is not normally a problem. Keeping enough profit in the log job to buy enough cord a year in advance to supply demand is normally the problem.

Most businesses would kill to be in a position of unlimited customers :-)

I'm not going to retread old ground on this thread but it really does sound like a need to analyse the business model thoroughly.

I'm not going to retread old ground on this thread but it really does sound like a need to analyse the business model thoroughly.

I'm happy with my return from firewood, as i know what I need to sell at to make money and I know how to say "forget it mate" when someone calls saying there'll only pay what the retired down fella down the road is selling at.

But generally speaking, I'd say there is 10 chaps doing firewood within 10 mile radius of me. And i'd say only 2 (including me), maybe 3 see firewood as a business, as a business they declare, a business they pay taxes on etc.....my point being, its them 7 / 8 who are "we only take cash luv" that have no idea of their costs of production, hence their low as hell prices. These chaps aren't saving half the money from every load to pay for next years cord wood etc etc.

Rant over :)

Its what we do best in this country analyse, risk asess, method state, time and motion, Strike, delegate, work avoidance, the only thing we seem short on is getting stuck in. If you play with a calculator long enough you will talk yourself out of anything.

Its what we do best in this country analyse, risk asess, method state, time and motion, Strike, delegate, work avoidance, the only thing we seem short on is getting stuck in. If you play with a calculator long enough you will talk yourself out of anything.

Or sometimes INTO anything.!!!

You know that's not what I meant. I, too, used to work a 60 hr week and be on-call for another 3 nights for emergencies. That didn't include doing the books or checking for better ways of buying in more economic quantities or negotiating better supply rates...and when i first went self-employed I did all 7 nights duty. It's the new generation brought up with mantras of work/life balance and an idea that they get something for nothing that gives us grumpy old men something to moan about:001_smile:

I started out selling firewood in September last year, i worked out my production costs and what i was happy with as an hourly rate/profit and started advertising.

My price was very cheap (£55 a cube), but as i had not set out my terms, ie £55 delivered to your drive etc, lots of people expected me to hump the wood to their shed etc etc. Sometimes people just dont know how lucky they are and how good a deal they are getting!!

Since then I have invested heavily in my production methods and a custom made delivery vehicle, i am now working on my marketing strategy for the coming season.

It might sound obvious but production costs is a great way of saving/making more money, particually fuel, to start with i was using my tractor to power my splitter. This was my biggest expense costing me the best part of a gallon of red an hour! Now i use a hydraulic power pack and use less than a litre of red an hour. For smaller stuff i am using an old bench saw, this just costs red to run, no chains, sharpening files or chain oil.

For me i have started this business for quality of life and a good work - life balance, I have worked out what weekly wage i want to have and have prepared and am preparing enough logs and other products so i should easily be able to achieve this, after all if you dont have the product how can you earn what you need!!

With regards to my prices I hope i have matched other firewood sellers around me, i certainly do not want to under cut anyone as price wars are only beneficial to the consumer.

• 1 year later...
thats wild money for around here ,i will only get 55 for a builders bag of dry hard wood and that is including delivery ,but 2 bags not one whitch is £110 deliverd

how big are your builders bags??? because I sell building products and our aggregates go into 0.5 of a cube bag, if yours are only that size then it makes you £110 a cube.:001_smile: