BS3998 2010- putting the specific into specification

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

The more I read the doc the more it grows on me, and the more rustrated I get with my peers who keep passing me job sheets and specs that do not reflect any comprehension of the doc whatsoever!

I cant wait to start working with specs that TRULY incorporate the standards because they are going to make my life so much easier.

Agreed, the very people okaying the specs (TO's) don't IME have a solid grasp of the old doc, let alone the new one! And the vast majority of tree surgeons around my way will twist the specs to suit themselves, and are very generous with their %s on reductions, effectively looping and topping in many cases. Many don't seem to have heard there is a new 3998, one I spoke to thought it was a tractor! :confused: They are never questioned by lpa's or anyone else. Without someone enforcing the work done, and maybe treating blatant 'misinterpretation' of specs as damage to tpo'd trees, I don't see the changes it should make becoming a reality anytime soon...

Ha ha, this is so true! Although I agree with Tony that we should all get to know the new 3998 well, I wouldn't be too worried about being caught out by a TO - unless you are writing a tender document or something.

I hate to say "I told you so" a year after the new standard came out....

I am with you Tony - wouldn't it be great for the contractors and consultants to encourage TO's to up their game and get with the new standard.

I hate to say "I told you so" a year after the new standard came out....

I am with you Tony - wouldn't it be great for the contractors and consultants to encourage TO's to up their game and get with the new standard.

Nothing will drive that proscess forward faster than a bunch of arbs making a lot of addressing remarks to TO's/consultants/bosses etc regarding their specs!

and 2012 is long enough to have passed a point where any excuses can be made, if anyone passes me a sub standard spec from now on it will result in some reply that will not be undue.:001_rolleyes: