BS3998 2010- putting the specific into specification

there are some of us who do not recognise this class system and are chalenging those even of the highest rank. It is nothing to o ith class or education.

as individuals we can all be great arbs, we just have to strive to be the best we can be, and when you feel happy within your skin as an arb, you too will fail to see any boundaries in arb.:thumbup1:

Too true. It's all in the mind.:lol:

I'll let you know when I get there.:thumbup1:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True,

I've upset a few people above me on the rung of the ladder because i felt they didn't have a clue, but i did it nicely (most of the time) and in the end some of them listened, if we all do our bit, our time will come:thumbup:

I honestly believe there is a generation of arbs coming through the ranks that have had the advantage of early introductions to influences that are vital in the journey and will in time make real strides in our industry because they had it all from the get go. unlike the rest of us who had to hunt down every scrap of truth for ourselves!:thumbup1:

it is your generation rob, and some of us will do all we can to encourage that generation, even if it means missing out ourselves.

you lot are the future.:thumbup1:

Agreed, the very people okaying the specs (TO's) don't IME have a solid grasp of the old doc, let alone the new one! And the vast majority of tree surgeons around my way will twist the specs to suit themselves, and are very generous with their %s on reductions, effectively looping and topping in many cases. Many don't seem to have heard there is a new 3998, one I spoke to thought it was a tractor! :confused: They are never questioned by lpa's or anyone else. Without someone enforcing the work done, and maybe treating blatant 'misinterpretation' of specs as damage to tpo'd trees, I don't see the changes it should make becoming a reality anytime soon...

Ha ha i can belive it!!:lol:

• 6 months later...

So, its been around a while now.

How are people finding it affects their working lives, much difference in doing what you do?

Also, has anyone found the occasion to get their iodine out?! And as a side note, wouldnt access to the wood of the tree for the test require 'damaging' the tree? A separate app for that? Or would that be an exception :confused:

So, its been around a while now.

How are people finding it affects their working lives, much difference in doing what you do?

Also, has anyone found the occasion to get their iodine out?! And as a side note, wouldnt access to the wood of the tree for the test require 'damaging' the tree? A separate app for that? Or would that be an exception :confused:

This Iodine test ended up in the standard without fully realising what the implications where! I havent heard anything after the BS3998 seminars but it was being looked into to define just how realistic a test and how practical it would be in everyday applications.

I would for the time being disregard that bit!:001_smile: