Axe Men

niftysteve

anyone seen this advertised starting on the 17th channel 5

THE AXE MEN same people who made ICE ROAD TRUCKERS looks like it may be good

There's a great unplanned moment when one of the 'stars' badly drops a tree onto a cameraman, who is saved only by the terrain...:ohmy:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thinkg it was good to see a tree assosiated program on but found alot it was crap and alot of those guys were friggen idiots.You can see why so many of them die.example.One guys talking about a mate whole died after slipping on to a stump which had a bit of a barber chair on it.CUT THE SPIKES OFF AFTER FELLING!.

Also,why did they leave such high stumps? the skyline got caught up on them all the time and everyone bitched about it.CUT THE STUMPS DOWN!.Or at least fell it a bit lower and youll get a bit more timber on the log.Dont get me wrong ya dont have to cut into the dirt but a bit lower would have helped all round.

Or is there some reason why they cut so high?

:congrats::congrats::dito:

Yeah right, exactly - why stumps left so high? That's bad practice in my experience - wasting wood for starters. Ditto re the spikes left on the stump - cut em off. Funny how seemingly simple things and solutions seemed to evade them and make them mad.

:congrats::congrats::dito:

Yeah right, exactly - why stumps left so high? That's bad practice in my experience - wasting wood for starters. Ditto re the spikes left on the stump - cut em off. Funny how seemingly simple things and solutions seemed to evade them and make them mad.

I agree it does seem a waste of timber , and looks awful , never mind being a nuisance aswell, but you only need to look at sites in this country that have been cut by harvesters to see a similar thing.

A lot of the high output mills are now computerised and timber with large buttresses is a nuisance to them as it either has to go through a butt reducer to make the log more uniform , or risk a lot of production time and wasted timber because the magic eye on the sawline misreads the log because of the swollen buttress.

I doubt very much whether the actual working of these sites is overdramatised although perhaps one or two of the guys possibly play to the camera.

There are lots of sites , and ive worked quite a few down the years , of equally steep terrain throughout the U.K, it may be far removed from what a lot of you are doing on a daily basis and i accept that timber production and arbwork are poles apart, but somebody has and still does harvest the timber that is planted on those hillsides.

I agree it does seem a waste of timber , and looks awful , never mind being a nuisance aswell, but you only need to look at sites in this country that have been cut by harvesters to see a similar thing.

A lot of the high output mills are now computerised and timber with large buttresses is a nuisance to them as it either has to go through a butt reducer to make the log more uniform , or risk a lot of production time and wasted timber because the magic eye on the sawline misreads the log because of the swollen buttress.

I doubt very much whether the actual working of these sites is overdramatised although perhaps one or two of the guys possibly play to the camera.

There are lots of sites , and ive worked quite a few down the years , of equally steep terrain throughout the U.K, it may be far removed from what a lot of you are doing on a daily basis and i accept that timber production and arbwork are poles apart, but somebody has and still does harvest the timber that is planted on those hillsides.

That's what I'm supposed to be doing this winter - buttressing big Sitka, Norway, Hemlock etc for the FC but currently the mills are rejecting the wood on account of its dbh not the butressed end (we're cutting them off anyway). You're right though, different mills are setup for different sawlogs. I've never seen either of our Logset Harvesters leave a barbers chair but yes, certainly higher than if cut manually. When buttressing, I always go round and remove the moss etc from the bottom and cut as low as possible. There's a lot of waste left in the rack and on the floor including 1000s of potential Christmas trees! It's a crying shame - those trees the FC have blazed for felling should be left I reckon - not cut and left to rot. 80% of timber in UK imported - aaaargh!

Impressive shot Mario. :001_cool:

I don't recall ever having seen a plate anywhere near as big as that

How tall d'ya reckon that Tree was?

Was there any root decay evident?

& do you know the wind speed of that storm?

Guessing the 100 to 110 mph range - or 160 to 175 kmh.

It was either a Sitka Spruce or Western Hemlock. The DBH was just over 24 inches or so - maybe 60 feet tall. Not an enormous top.

No decay. There was a lot of rain before and during the storm. Odds are the continual rocking of the tree loosened the soil.

Edited by mdvaden

Photo below FROM AN OLD STORM. I think I've posted this image before. Seems that many of the biggest trees at the Oregon coast, break or die first, then decay some and fall over. Took this photo about 6 years ago. Pretty sure it was a Western Hemlock. The small ones are Douglas Fir and hemlock.

The curved trunk provides the historical dateline. It's base shows it was vertical once when the big log was vertical. The size of the small one seems to be just about right to have fallen in the huge 1962 storm, when winds were probably in the 130 mph range.

ecola2_600.jpg.80474a2697755c34f8cc0b38f24d8a33.jpg

Axemen what a load of ****

If I got anyone acting like that in the wood they'd be down the road in a shot.

That lardy bloke "out fishing" he's an f'in maniac !!!!

I know we can't all live in a HSE bubble but they're all a load of idiots, it just shows how advanced uk and Scandinavian forestry is.

Oh and out there the new hi vis is realtree!!!!!

I'll get of my soapbox now and watch the rest of casualty

I thinkg it was good to see a tree assosiated program on but found alot it was crap and alot of those guys were friggen idiots.You can see why so many of them die.example.One guys talking about a mate whole died after slipping on to a stump which had a bit of a barber chair on it.CUT THE SPIKES OFF AFTER FELLING!.

Also,why did they leave such high stumps? the skyline got caught up on them all the time and everyone bitched about it.CUT THE STUMPS DOWN!.Or at least fell it a bit lower and youll get a bit more timber on the log.Dont get me wrong ya dont have to cut into the dirt but a bit lower would have helped all round.

Or is there some reason why they cut so high?

I think they leave the stumps high is because the mills won't accept butt logs with large flutes.Also in the states they "hot deck" load timber onto trucks on log landings that logs are being pulled to,so the less mess there is the better.

Felling the stumps low and then trimming the ends on the hill would create hazards for the breakerouts, "hook tenders" as the "offcuts" could roll downhill towards guys working underneath.

High stumps are bad news all round in a hauler crew.They hang up drags of logs going up and snag skyline and tailropes during a line shift.Stumps and even just humps in the ground hang up ropes during a line shift.

Edited by Mike Hill
typo