Swapped the MS260 for an MS361 and....

Big J

.....wow, what a difference! Working in 8-12 inch dbh hardwood thinning at present and the difference in time at stump it huge, as well as just feeling (slightly) less fatigued at the end of the day.

It's a bit of a snarling beast, that MS361. It's on a 15 inch bar for this stand but have an 18 and 13 in my arsenal.

It used the same number of tanks per tonne (about 2 tonnes per tank) as the MS260, but obviously larger tanks, so an extra 1 litre used over the course of the day. I don't know why I was always so adverse to larger saws - even a bit of extra power makes a big difference.

Have many of you got the MS362? Why did they make the damn thing heavier for the same power? :001_huh:

I have used MS361s/ 036s since I started in forestry. Perfect all round saws. Big enough to put on a 18" bar for 3 foot dbh oak, but light enough for softwood thinnings. For the first time, this year I replaced mine with MS441 as I had a lot of work coming up involving large trees (10,000 cube poplar clearfell being one). WOW! What a difference 10cc makes. Not really noticed weight difference. I reckon the lack of effort while felling etc offsets any fatigue due to heavy saw. And I prefer the air filter. My old 361 was always full of dust. Somehow the filter let loads of dust in, but the saw still ran perfectly. Still baffles me now. It wasn't the saw cos I had 3 of them over the years and they all did it. I will alwaysbe a Stihl man

i use an ms 460 and would charge through your thinnings, know what i mean wink wink nudge nudge :lol:

I would laugh at you if you showed up with a 460 for sub 12 inch hardwood thinning! :001_tt2::lol:

I think it's always the same with saws - an extra 10cc / horsepower makes a massive difference. I've used an MS660 for instance, which feels like it's about 3x as powerful as the 361.

Jonathan