Smart Winch

Mike Hill

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using the Smart Rigging Winch for over two years now and all the issues mentioned in the first couple of posts never bothered me.

If you set the device on a very small tree, the plates won't have enough contact and yes it can move a bit. But it never moves that much it will be a problem.

You can pull it so tight on the tree the plates actually bend a little, so the force is great and in combination with the rubbers on ghe backplate it holds great on bigger wood and never moves any more once installed properly.

Winching and rigging can be done on the winch bollard, but keep in mind the really heavy stuff is better to rig on the rigging drum ;-) pretensioning can be easy done wit a prussik knot and a peace of rope that you install on the winch and connect to the rigging system with a prussik ;-) thats how we did it anyway before we got al these fancy winch devices and only use pulleys to get some pretension on our rigging bollards.

What I love about this device is that it doesn't need switching between winch and drum. It's durable and made very strong. Seems like some people have issues with it but I think they just didn't get enough info about it and how to use it proper.

Some vids with the SRWinch ;-)

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LevalTrzyhA]winch it - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XNieV0M1Aas]KWinvught - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O9RNHLhd7UA]Oak zipline time lapse by Boom&Werk - YouTube[/ame]

Climb safe

• 2 weeks later...

Today I was moving things around in my shop and found the crate with my Haultz device.

After using it a few times I decided that it wasn't the best solution for rigging. There are some advantages and things that it does really well. Double ropes and no hockles for sure. It's nice to aim the bollard in one direction and not have any flop-factor like with a portable bollard.

The market decided that it didn't have a place for the unit. It had to be expensive to produce. The unit is well-built and sturdy but didn't seem to meet the price point between portable bollards and Hobbs/GRCS devices at the time. Now there are other plate/strap on bollards that do meet the price point.

I'm going to sell my Haultz...is anyone interested? Joking...the shipping would kill the deal :)

Tom

• 11 months later...

wow! some1 mentioned this thread to me the other day & i cant believe some of the comments.

we bought a SW a month or so ago & its been invaluable. I've used the grcs for about 7 years but found the SW to be a great improvement.

lighter, less damage to retained trees in many cases, easier to get required tension on strap, way grippyer winch bollard, stronger, stainless steel not mild steel with black paint on the top, free install/ half day training when we bought it; pics to follow .

we used it on an even narrower birch tree than the thin one MH pictured, tensioned it up, looked weird with the side plates sticking out but held fast & hardly damaged the bark where as the grcs's hinges would have meant the side plates were sticking into the stem like knives as they do when you're on a bid cedar or similar with buttresses.

• 4 weeks later...

We got are smart winch today I'm not going to go into comparison over other devices . We got a days training with the winch and really enjoyed the whole day the rigging operation was made really easy and safe and I would defiantly say it's worth having a go on one . I will keep you updated with pictures etc :)

We got are smart winch today I'm not going to go into comparison over other devices . We got a days training with the winch and really enjoyed the whole day the rigging operation was made really easy and safe and I would defiantly say it's worth having a go on one . I will keep you updated with pictures etc :)

A video of it being used would be best. Don't bother filming branches swinging, just someone using the SW.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

A video of it being used would be best. Don't bother filming branches swinging, just someone using the SW.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

Ok no worries I will get the groundies to sort something out as it's there bit of kit I have not had a go yet as I'm the only climber on our firm . I have seen it in operation from the top of the tree looking down and both winch and bollard look really smooth .

• 1 month later...