Right or wrong?

skyhuck

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agree,

i hate work and if it was any good the person who invented it would have kept it to themselves :biggri.

ha ha priceless:thumbup:

The less work i do and the more other stuff i do the closer i get to feeling like a kid, my mind focuses on what i want to do rather than what i feel i have to do:thumbup1:

i've worked on a farm with large contracting business since i left school and every school holiday, weekend, evenin since i was 12 yrs old... i used to do over 100 hours week reguarly, more if i think about it... i dont no any different.. i did have few yrs when i stopped contractin and went into tree work where i did 8 till 5 but that didnt last long... in the summer months.. [any time now if it stops rainin] i'm up and out the door by 5.15am.. get into my skip lorry..drop skips and pick full ones up till 7.30-8.00.. sort the lads out with there tree work for day.. either take them to job to show em what to do or talk em through whats to be done and send em on there way... then go price few jobs for hour or so.. back to yard for 10.00am at latest where i get tractor and what ever i'm gonna use for the day on back of it serviced up and ready to go by 10.30 or 11 dependin on time year, how heavy the dew is etc... then i'll sit in that tractor usually balein straw till the early hours of mornin [weather permittin].. its not unusual for me to walk in the door till 2.00am.or if the weather forecast is bad for followin day and we got plenty straw laid out in front of us i wont go home at all and work right through the night and keep going untill it rains which could be the followin afternoon or evenin.. i must admit when i was 20/25 it was lot easier.. now at 37 it gets bit harder each yr.. and in winter when we're flat out on the firewood i'll work till 9 every nite 7 days a week for months mostly just drivin from 7 in mornin deliverin logs.. i cant see me changin any of this anytime soon..

If thats what you love doing and you family do too then excellent.:thumbup1:

The more I see of life the less I want to spend it working.

I dont particularly hate my job(well not all the time), although I do hate working as mentioned :laugh1:but I dont love it so there's no way I'm wasting my life on it.

This week started badly but did get better, but did too much running about for my liking trying to fit jobs in to get them out of the way while I concentrated on the more important work, if that makes sense:confused1:

Anyway we only have one life with no second chances so lets make sure we enjoy it while we can.:thumbup1:

Nick,

You see those 2 kids in your Avatar - they want to see you not just big piles of cash and loads of toys.

Working 15, 18, 20 hours a day is great for the bank balance but what do you plan on spending it on. You can't buy the time back.

I used to work a shift job and run the tree business on my days off. I would swap shifts so i could work the weekend at the factory and weekdays on the trees. The money was great but after having kids packed in the factory and took a massive pay cut but the kids get to spend plenty of time with me. I earn enough and the balance is great.

Kev

i bet i spend more time with my kids doing the hours i do than the average person on here... i took my little boy out with me this mornin at 7.00am.. went to the yard.. went to the first job with the lads... went from there to look at couple jobs.. put him in skip lorry [ which he loves ] for hour or so... took him in the old mans for bit lunch then in the fastrac and off to pick a 40 yard bin up down the road... it was nearly 2.00pm when his mum came to collect him and i'll be doing summin similar tomorrow... his sister comes home from school and few days week gets dropped at farm where she'l feed the calves or come with me doing whatever it is i'm doin at the time.. shes 8 and will be on tractor tomorrow on her own toppin my paddock...

I spent a lot of time with my parents (especially my old man) when I was little, about 80% of that was at "work" and I can almost guarantee that they were more fun that sitting in front of the telly with them at nights after a 5pm finish (not that I'm saying its what you lot do).

I loved spending time with stock, on tractors, skid steers, building stuff, breaking stuff (:thumbup:) and learning lots on the way. I was born in '93 but can remember the ban on asbestos in buildings in 1999, weird eh?

Keep it up!

Sam

i give the customer about a week then if its not too far i'll drive past to see if jobs been done.. if not i'll call them to ask if they've had any more thoughts on havin the tree work done.. or if they've had any more quotes.. you wouldnt believe the amount of people who say "glad u called i been meanin to call u"or "yeah we've had another quote and its bit less than yours can you match, or beat it".. got job to do friday that i called back few weeks ago... it was for £1400 and they'd been quoted 1250.. could i do it for 1200 which i said yes to and turns out neighbour wants small job done which i looked at and won for £280.. so back up and above the 1400 and all will be done on friday so yes def worth callin back...

Thats exactly the same experience i have, people see it as a keeness to do the work, and the professional appearance of the company is further strengthened when you say i cant come for x amount of weeks, professional company, got steady flow of work, and operating effectively and productively, good business mang imho, although I never go below nor match a qoute, my work is worth every penny, i reduce but dont match. but bend over backwards to ensure that they feel that the little extra is worthy, people love a good haggle.