oak and cedar dismantles

LR90

This is in no way a criticism of this job, it looks like a great job carried out extremely well!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup1:

But to suggest that climbing that Cedar would be more dangerous than taking out that huge top from a MEWP is just ridiculous!!

This is the problem when those who don't understand our work (HSE and the like) start dictating how it should be done on the grounds of safety.

you would agree that the MEWP is far easier and quicker though??

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlikely quicker, the other man in the MEWP could have been busy chipping up while you were climbing (assuming you had another guy rigging and taking photos)

Lovely job though.

Not at all!!!

A decent climber would have up that and have put the gob in before the MEWP was even set up!!!:001_tt2:

Plus the cost of the MEWP would be turned into pure profit!!!:thumbup1:

i suppose u signature is true, u can only speak from personal experience,

i dont know what experience you have had with MEWPS but my experience of them has been all positive, we have 4 tracked machines, a lorry mount, and 1 self propelled, and have found them an absolutley brilliant, and most days at least 1 will be out on hire to neighboring tree surgeons,

of course there will always be a need for a good climber since we are always gonna run into the access issue but i do think that the industry will slowly gravitate to increased MEWP usage, since the machine is doing the work and not the climber, thus increasing the climbers working life, and reducing the back problems which often come with prolonged climbing,

finally, i'm sure that alot of this whole MEWP hatred stems from the incorrect MEWP being used, for instance, loads of the MEWPS at the recent arb show would be rubbish for commercial tree work since there boom configuration would not allow for any decent mobility in and around the canopy, thus making the job harder not easier, if the correct machine is chosen then my experience is that they make the job easier

I LOVE MEWPS:thumbup:

i suppose u signature is true, u can only speak from personal experience,

i dont know what experience you have had with MEWPS but my experience of them has been all positive, we have 4 tracked machines, a lorry mount, and 1 self propelled, and have found them an absolutley brilliant, and most days at least 1 will be out on hire to neighboring tree surgeons,

of course there will always be a need for a good climber since we are always gonna run into the access issue but i do think that the industry will slowly gravitate to increased MEWP usage, since the machine is doing the work and not the climber, thus increasing the climbers working life, and reducing the back problems which often come with prolonged climbing,

finally, i'm sure that alot of this whole MEWP hatred stems from the incorrect MEWP being used, for instance, loads of the MEWPS at the recent arb show would be rubbish for commercial tree work since there boom configuration would not allow for any decent mobility in and around the canopy, thus making the job harder not easier, if the correct machine is chosen then my experience is that they make the job easier

I LOVE MEWPS:thumbup:

I don't think this is true

If climbing is damaging your body, you are doing it wrong,IMO.

Only by climbing most of the time do you maintain the fitness and skill required.

I am 41, I've been climbing for 17 years and my body feels better today than when first started climbing, I am a little less energetic because I weigh 2 stone more than I did in my 20's, but I dread to think what I would weigh if I were not climbing most days.

Your right about my experience with MEWP, I have only used them a hand full of times and was never impressed.

I have never come across a tree where a MEWP was needed

I don't think this is true

If climbing is damaging your body, you are doing it wrong,IMO.

Only by climbing most of the time do you maintain the fitness and skill required.

I am 41, I've been climbing for 17 years and my body feels better today than when first started climbing, I am a little less energetic because I weigh 2 stone more than I did in my 20's, but I dread to think what I would weigh if I were not climbing most days.

Your right about my experience with MEWP, I have only used them a hand full of times and was never impressed.

I have never come across a tree where a MEWP was needed

I would like to add that there may be a tiny bit of inability or laziness even which may lead to the attitude to which the above quote is a response....:sneaky2:

I think you are wrong about MEWPs being better for your back. I find they always give me crippling lower back pain as you are forced to use the saw above the guard rails and at arms length all the time, plus I find you always need to lean out over the rail, making the problem worse.

Secondly, the industry will never gravitate towards MEWP use, because such a large percentage of the industry is small one or two man outfits. As you rightly say, right machine for the right job, how many small companies are going to be able to run 2 or 3 machines?

Before you ask, I spent a year working for a local authority on street trees, using truckmounts for 95% of the work, and I have also used tracked spiderlifts, trailed machines, self propelled booms, and big truckmounts with operator.

Having used just about every type of MEWP for every type of tree work, there are only a few situations where I would rather use a MEWP than climb:

Large hedge trimming jobs, ideally with a scissorlift,

Chogging down really big stems with a really big saw,

Bulk pruning of roadside trees with a self propelled boom,

lastly, and I can only think of 1 or 2 of these in 15 years of tree work, structurally compromised trees that would be safer to use a mewp than climb. Usually a big truck mount in these cases, so the machine is far enough away to avoid getting squished if the tree fails.

Lr 90,

something like a 34 metre Bronto Skylift may have given you safer work positions, better options for cutting branches out and overall......better access into the crown.

Not sure wether you could have driven such a large truck over that grass though (plywooded in?), anyway just an idea.

Good job though, great pics.

Pic below shows Bronto boom and possible position of truck allowing you to cut smaller branches safely into drop zone

bronto2.jpg.a4b838fae75baea126c478302359f0a6.jpg

Edited by Monkey-D