Hows the log sales going now

mendiplogs

Couldnt agree more - ive been selling for 25 years approx and ive never seen so many selling utter crap for beer money , weve got one local whose put up boards all over south derbyshire advertising for £50 per load ! ive got approx 250 tons of 18 month seasoned hardwood which i cant shift- best weve ever had and its just sitting there , ive also got 2 ex employees who have set up in competition trying to undercut me. I can only hope they are all selling as little as we are and will soon get board and move on to some other get rich quick scheme!!:thumbdown:

HI treemon your right there:thumbdown: mate all the best jon :thumbup:

Its the same with most things, years ago there was real shortage of spuds (some sort of blight and bad weather I think) so the price sored. The following year every one planted spuds hoping to cash in, so there was a surplus and prices fell.

The advantage with with fire wood is that it is a growing market, so I don't think things will get too bad.

A bloke up the road from me as just undercut me by £25 a load, we both advertise in the same local paper, for the last few years we have matched each other on price, when i asked him why he said he isn't selling much so he was dropping his prices to get rid of what he's got............winter hasn't arrived yet, but he's panicking

About 50% down on last years orders,BUT 4 new customers phoned up this weekend wanting briquettes to help try to burn the wet/green wood they've been supplied at stupid cheap price in the local paper ads.I'm Loving it, sold about 180 bags of briquettes since friday:001_rolleyes:

Thanks Phil.

Edited by skyhuck
language

A bloke up the road from me as just undercut me by £25 a load, we both advertise in the same local paper, for the last few years we have matched each other on price, when i asked him why he said he isn't selling much so he was dropping his prices to get rid of what he's got............winter hasn't arrived yet, but he's panicking

HI egg mate let the bloke up the road sale his log cheap like you said winter has not arrived yet . but when it comes he will be out of logs :lol: all the best with your sale all you got to think is your logs far better jon :thumbup:

a chap just out of sudbury, red and blue tranny tipper, hasnt changed his £100 a load in years. really cant match that price. another chap 2 miles away, started this yr....£70 for same amount of logs as my £100 load!! oh well, im not too fussed! Its not worth doing at that money so i'll just sit on my eggs for a while i think

We have never had a depression like this one so things are going to be difficult. Lots of people have had money and are now struggling like hell so firewood is the least of their worries?

Everyone on here is listing different reasons for slow sales. Somehow we have got to strike a happy medium and try not to put all your eggs in the firewood basket.

For my part the phone is dead just trickling along but are still seeing plenty of half full transits flying about with green softwood! The big spenders won't spend!

This is always the problem in times like these. You are going to have a lot guys who work for saw mills and so on suddenly finding that the idea of chopping a truck of waste wood and flogging it for £75 cash is actually not a bad idea. Maybe their missus has been made redundant. Maybe they can't afford their own heating bills or are on short hours or something.

Sign of the times I'm afraid. If it were me I would hold my prices and wait it out. Maybe try and find some other way of raising cash in the meantime (at which point you may be doing the same thing to someone elses livelihood).

Whatever, needs must I guess.

Sold out. Expected to by about Feb, maybe some time in Jan. But all gone or loaded in the trailer ready for my final delivery to customers. That said, I'm only a small player, focussed on a tight market segment that knows quality and values convenience, but I think I'll do twice as much next year!