New Chainsaws

David oakman

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No they reccoment 50/1 as they have too as dealers but run all there stuff on 25/1. i would rather have the stink than blown saws though. get in a nice conifer and let 1 go after a good strong curry the night before ya can't tell any way!:001_cool:

also you never quite get every last drop of oil out in to the can so your probably running 52/1.

run 25/1 stihl and no problems now.

You should allow for that, I put the 5L mesture into 4.5L!!!

25/1 :thumbdown: bet your dealer loves you, buying twice as much oil!!

Just re built on 084 with a blown engine, got it for a song from last owner as a non runner, honed the pot, new piston and rings and she's a belter. he ran it on 50:1 i think it might be something to do with them being older saws and needing that bit more oil. :001_tt2:

properly mixed 50:1 (using good quality semi-synthetic/synthetic 2stroke oil, and good clean high octane fuel) will run any correctly tuned 2-stroke engine perfectly to its peak performance... even older/asian equipment recommended to be run on 32/25:1

the key thing is to use quality mix oil, quality fuel from a garage you trust (not from a supermarket garage), and most importantly tune the saw correctly! get a tachometer, check your rpms regularly, you might need to re-tune for different qualitys of fuel, altitude changes, length of bar etc...

dont run 25:1... you're just asking for excessive carbon buildup, and poorer performance... maybe if you use regular motor oil instead of 2-stroke (which is why 20-30 years ago saws were recommended at 25:1... no dedicated 2-stoke oil)

cheap insurance is running 40:1 mix, or just tuning a bit rich. but so is a tachometer to check your tuning

its easy to toast a piston and cylinder.... but its also easy not to....

Just re built on 084 with a blown engine, got it for a song from last owner as a non runner, honed the pot, new piston and rings and she's a belter. he ran it on 50:1 i think it might be something to do with them being older saws and needing that bit more oil. :001_tt2:

really, i run my 084 on aspen which is premixed at 50:1 with no problems, I think its more to do with how well the saw is set up and operated.

I really dont buy into this I can tune it by ear rubbish, if your saw needs setting up right, get it put on a tacho or take it to your dealers to do,

an extra 1000rpm when your running it for long periods of time isnt going to do it any favours especially if your on 50:1...if you dont set saws up properly or have them serviced regularly then 25:1 is probably the safe way to go as it builds in a safety margin.