Sad day-

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This weekend was one rare time I Formatted my camera SD card without backing up my hard drive, but only because I knew someone else had last week's images from it on their computer too.

But I copy to my second hard drive regularly. And to both disc, and an external hard drive, both of which are stored in a fireproof safe and fireproof box.

Hope you can salvage some more.

Bet each piece you salvage feels precious as you recover it.

:001_cool:

This weekend was one rare time I Formatted my camera SD card without backing up my hard drive, but only because I knew someone else had last week's images from it on their computer too.

But I copy to my second hard drive regularly. And to both disc, and an external hard drive, both of which are stored in a fireproof safe and fireproof box.

Hope you can salvage some more.

Bet each piece you salvage feels precious as you recover it.

:001_cool:

Indeed, each one, and the best part is i have recovered very nearly 85-90% of the most important images now:thumbup:

I lost my entire music collection including about 100 tunes that I had produced over 15 years! I see it as a blank canvas, but images are harder to lose I guess..... Music is pretty bad though :(

music or images, it is all relevent, our individual arts are a part of our souls, to lose our art is always painfull.

I hope you recover the full 100% trooper. I would have lost the plot if that had happened to me. Without going in to too much detail I lost some extremely important work I'd spent 9 days compilng for a very important military project and was almost physically sick when I realised what had happened - only after some fresh air and lots of breathing I dispelled the feeling. I did not recover my work but had to repeat it all over the following very long days and nights from memory so I feel your anguish mate.

I know that this is after the avent but...

I store my images on my PC plus an external hard drive which the premises when I do.

I also upload all of my images to the weirdly named smugmug.

You can upload unlimited images for about $35 per year. They also back up the images to four different locations. As well as back up there is a web site (galleries) included. Plus a load of other goodies.

I have used then for years with no problems and I have about 50gb uploaded.

My clients have password protected galleries with their (well my) photos in them ready for downloading when they need them. Oh they have a great support forum.

Oh if you use me email ([email protected]) you get a few dollars off.

Photo Sharing. Your Photos Look Better Here.

my smugmug

Mark Baigent Photography | SmugMug

A similar set up is zenfolio, which I have been testing for a while and really like, zenfolio is easier to use than smugmug,

Zenfolio - Professional photo hosting for photographers and enthusiasts.

Mark Baigent Photography

save a bit with Referral Code: JNT-A8S-KPR

HTH

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

The damage was worse than I thought, going through what ive got out ive lost years of whippendell records (particularly gutting) been documenting trees and decay for nigh on a decade, all gone.

all my staverton shots, moccas park, bradgate deer park, knole house bar the ones that got placed in fungi folders on a safe drive.

im so gutted, now I must get my new camera and take a few weeks off next summer to retrace my journies

Oh shugar, T. I'm sad to hear that. As you say, on a positive note is does mean you HAVE to go out to some fab locations to start building up your collection again :thumbup1:

Have you got the remainder backed up yet, hmmm?