Own Up!?!

PeteB

How can you knock them then talk about monoliths and fracture pruning

If they had CORONETS cut in them you would of all been going spot on.

I dont blame the tree guys or galls or the carpet folk it is down to the planners.

Of course the carpet firm want folk passing to see they are there and they do free fitting.

Sadly it will be a miniscule amount of folk that think there wrong.

Personally I would prefer them out but next yr they will look fine

Is it better a butchered tree than NO tree???????

enjoy:thumbup:

IMO No, my aswell fell them and have done with it, lets face it they will never look right again.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I agree with the way the tree was "pruned" (that term used in the loosest sense of the word), but bob has a fair point doesn't he? I mean, many on here are all for fracture pruning etc so what exactly is wrong with what's been done here? And, if we are so loved up on trees why wouldn't you keep it, after all, pollarding can be just as harsh and the tree would still add some amenity value once it has recovered somewhat. Having said all that though I'd hate to think that it would become anywhere near the norm.

I had a bad feeling about this thread from the outset. Naming/shaming is not tolerated here, neither is having a dig at anyone because of their creed colour, religion or ethnicity. The reason for this should be obvious, but for those who dont get it, its detrimental to the smooth running of the forum, and I have better things to do than suffer fools who cant follow a simple easy-to-follow set of rules. And yes I'm having a bad day.

Not that i like pollarding or fracture pruning but that job is nothing short of butchery! Wouldn't it have been much more pleasing to the eye to just do a crown lift and/or thinning/reduction? this way the trees would still have their shape and you could still see the carpet place behind them. I understand why we dont do naming and shaming here but workers like this should imo be named and shamed to at least get them to think about getting the proper qualifications and learn how to do the job in the correct manner. Remember these people are getting our work which we have paid lots of good money to learn how to do properly, thats what gets me angry about this kind of thing.

Who are any of us to criticise a job when we don't know the circumstances. Yes, the trees don't look great like that, but I assume that's what the customer wanted. If i had a pound for every job I'd done and finished thinking "if only they'd let me do what looked right instead of what they wanted" then I'd be a very rich man. Surely we've all taken the money for doing what the customer wanted - that's what being in business is about.

IMO No, my aswell fell them and have done with it, lets face it they will never look right again.

They probably will come back a treat, as they say.

They may look butt ugly now and there are going to be decay pockets a plenty in years to come, but trees are fantastic at self optimisation and give them a few growing seasons to get a decent canopy on them and they'll look OK again.

Just in time for them to be hacked back again :thumbdown:

Personally when a customer asks me to do a bad job i explain to them why its not done that way, i can give enough reasons why its better to do it the way i see the job that i can usually change the customers mind. If you go to the doctor do you tell him how you should be treated for your pains or do you do what the professional says? Our job is not only going out hacking down trees and running off with the cash. We study and train to do this job correctly, so why does so many of us give in to what the customer wants, even when the customer is so obviously wrong? I have refused to do jobs because the customer wanted a butchery job instead of an arborists job, some of these i have lost and some have phoned me up later saying ok maybe you were right can you do it your way. The customer has more respect for you and the job done is a better advertisement for your business. Dont get me wrong i have also done this kind of work years ago and so have all of us at one point or another but dont you think we should maybe take a stand? I think we should demand a bit more respect from customers and ourselves alike.

Am i the only one that thinks like this?

Our job is not only going out hacking down trees and running off with the cash. We study and train to do this job correctly, so why does so many of us give in to what the customer wants, even when the customer is so obviously wrong? I have refused to do jobs because the customer wanted a butchery job instead of an arborists job, some of these i have lost.

Must be nice - personally I prefer to tell them the right way and if they still want it their way I take the cash because priciples don't pay the bills.