Landy tipper vs transit tipper?

robertsonstreecare

i had a lwb crew cab transit tipper for 4 years before i got a 130 tipper. sometimes i wish the lanny could carry the same amount of chip but the landy is such a versatile vehicle, i can deliver precise loads of logs, i can get to most sites etc, i can back down narrow drives, i can go down lanes without the mirrors getting knocked. i still get loads of chip in the back. i can winch trees over etc, i dont get stuck in snow or on damp fields like the tranny did.they are both great vehicles. if the made 4x4 transits that were cheap then that would be well good. mogs are too big imo for domestic tree work.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you post what they are when you find out mate? I tried to get some BF Goodrich AT's for my Transit this winter and they don't do them in the right size.

I put michelin agilis tyres on mine (around £125 each inc vat and fitting)

was sceptical that they would make that much difference but they do work a treat especially on snow and ice.

Also no noticeable drop in mpg.

Remember that any tyres you fit to your van will have to be commercial rated

I got some mud & snow remoulds on the back of my transit, they were about £65 each. Hard to tell how much of a difference they make over "normal" tyres but I did get on well in the snow (made it up hills that cars didn't) and haven't been stuck on wet grass

Is that actually going to happen?

Have you got any info or links on it?

Yes 18 stoner, a Defender replacement is due in 2012 / 2013.

It looks like it will be quite different in order to comply with safety rules regarding air bags and crumple zones which is why it needs changing. Only info I have read is in LRO magazine which is just gossip in terms of what the spec and look of the new ones will be like!

Wait and see I think!

Sounds interesting. Its the first Ive heard of it.

I know there's been talk of it for many years, even stopping production all together but nothing ever seemed to happen.

As you say, guess we have to wait and see. Just hope they dont lose too much of the "good bits" of the trusted landy.

I have snow and mud tyres on my Suzuki carryall, they made it useable all winter in light mud/on fields and in the snow with no weight in the back. I will certainly be buying some to fit my LT35 before winter! Made a massive difference.

surprised at that

I fitted some chunkys to a pickup and found it worse of road if just stopped one wheel and put the power to the other

If both were on slippy as in snow or ice it was better.

I went back to proper pickup spin em both and generally found them better and just dont bother in the snow unless weighted down

I did say light mud and on fields, without the mud/snow tyres it was totally wank on even a damp field / slope! I had to pull the choke out to up the revs leave it in 1st and get out and push.. lol

I have found that if i spin the wheels with the snow and mud tyres it must clear the tread which helps when its **** or bust situation.