I need some equipment

Dagmar

According to your list Dagmar, other than your plough, you dont need more than 45HP. You may have been slightly misinformed about the disc plough. Unless you are intending ploughing very deep or on extremely heavy soil, you dont need 80hp or 4WD!

I have done lots of vintage ploughing to a depth of 6-7 inches with 3 furrows using MF 135. Its certainly not over-powered but will do the job on most soils.

The MF 135 is around 40HP and very rarely 4WD. You should be able to get such a tractor around £3k.

Im not saying the 135 would be the perfect tractor for you but dont get too carried away with 80 HP thing as that seems to be the biggest cost implication.

The equipment comes with the premises - so I am trying to get a tractor that I can use it with.

But I may need a complete rethink.

Might make more sense to sell on what I have got then start from scratch with what I want.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't understand why you would need an 60-80 horse machine

Check out some of the chinese imports some are ok some are crap "do you homework" before you buy.

I think some of the small massies and jcb are made there now.

Was in past a dealer this week and he had a 135 with loader and he was needing £4900 for a straight sale.

Whatever you do it will cost you money,my brother has just done up an old nuffield to off farm condition and it cost him roughly £6000.

We sold a 7 year old one in the late sixties for £180.

The main implements that need the HP are;

2M Flail Mower Requires 45HP+

Mist Blower and sprayers

Disk Plough 3 furrow 65-80HP

Vacuum Seeder 45HP

+ a PTO rotovator and some other odd kit.

Budget needs to be under £5000, but if needed could add a couple more,

with that sortof budget and the implements you have id be inclined to sell the implements to an enthusiast and start again with with a bigger budget from said sales, and look for something much more common, good nick massy 35/65/85 for example-may be old but spare parts much more easily available, pretty robust and perfect for small holdings (also know of a couple for sale and some implements inc plough).

old tractors arnt really my thing, but if you get a list of implements/model you need i can foward them to a few people-one mate exports old/used uk machinery to eastern europe and restores/collects older machines, few others are into vintage tractors.

try http://www.TractorData.com for info on power outputs etc

Don't sell anything yet.

In my opion the best thing to do is list what you are looking for the tractor to do, you can then put that in an order of preference.

As has already been said you will have a job to get a single tractor to be useful in the cold house and the other operations.

Although the equal wheel centre pivot tractors are good, dealer support will be an issue. So the most important choice would be based on the local dealers, there are a huge number of suppliers of spares for vintage and classic machinery now so don't be afraid to buy something old.

Without knowing the size of the holding, the cropping or the level of experience you have it's difficult to make a concidered suggestion.

Cabs certainly make the winter more pleasant, but reduce choice if buildings are low. Will you be the only driver, or will you be employing someone to help? If so the requirements will be different.