beginning to climb

paul k

Hi guys doing an intensive climbing course, got 6 days climbing then cs 38,39 on the 7th day, I'm two days in and i reckon i'm doing ok so far. all i need to do is speed up a little and build up my confidence. Confidence is the easy the easy bit i just need to learn the knots and i'll be fine (i don't mind being up there just not sure what i'm doing up there) The hard part is speeding up. any tips on speeding up a little?? I'm doing big thrusts to get my prussik up as high as i can but by the time i get up there i'm knackered, What kind of fitness do i need to work on to improve?? i'm ok at running and weightlifting but need to shift a few stone which i'm sure climbing will do anyways cheers for any feedback i get

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be in a rush to get quicker (think that makes sense!) Speed comes from efficiency, and efficiency comes with practice, practice and more practice! Take your time, learn what you need to learn for your assessments and keep going.

I passed my 39 last December, and I reckon I'll be an average climber in 5 or 6 years! :001_smile:

I would'nt worry about speed in your first 6 days of climbing. I'd be far more inclined to concentrate on getting everything right ... knots, change overs, rope re-routing and general ability to move around the tree.

6 days to learn to climb to take 38/39 sounds like one hell of a challenge. But I did my 30/31 after a 5 day course so I reckon its do-able!

Good luck! :thumbup1:

I did my 30/31 after the first 5 days of this course with assessment on the monday after the weekend, bit tough but i managed it, Then did stumpy and chipper tickets and 3-4 days of work experience and a business studies project all this in 4 weeks, If i'm not ready for the climbing assesments i can hold them in the bank and come back and do them later ( but i'm competitive and want to do them next week)

if you feel happy mate then fine. I made the mistake of being a little to keen...

Did my cs38 one week, passed, but did my cs39 following week, didnt pass, like you say, confidence & practice, then using a saw up a tree and getting in that correct safe position...

now gotta save for the retake but everyone is different, if you go for it good luck.

Theres no need to rush the assessors are just lookin to see if your safe and confident in knowing what your doing dnt matter how fast you can get around the tree if not doing it safely then there not gonna be happy, speed comes with practice and experience:) and as everyone else has said keep your kit nice and tidy assessors love it and it will make your climbing so much easier