New Starter In The Industry

backinblack1972

Hi Guys

I have recently completed the 9 week Tree Surgery course at Merrist Wood and am now looking for employment. I have mailed alot of companies in the Kent area (Tonbridge/Tunbridge Wells) which have all basically said no full time vacancies. So I am now registered as a Sole Trader and will start sub contracting out as a Groundsman / Trainee Climberwith the intention of starting my own business in the long run.

My question to start with is roughly what can I charge a day as a Groundsman / Trainee climber? Also what insurance do I need to do this?

Cheers for your help:001_smile:

Welcome mate, and good luck with the work hunt. You also have a mint username!

It's tough out there at the minute. I can't work out what is encouraging so many people to come into this industry when it is basically on its backside?

Have you tried Fountains? They were looking for full time lads recently.

welcome to the forum mate, good luck with your job search.

if youre working self employed but for other firms then you dont actually need your own insurance. as for wages don't expect a fortune, youll need to prove yourself and untill then 60 is a very reasonable offer, remember youre not just getting paid youre getting experience.

i worked for 3 different companys when i came out of a twelve week course ,two paid 70 a day and the 3rd paid 80 a day , i guess you have to take what you can get to get your foot in but 50 does sound a bit low ? or maybe i was just lucky ? 2 1/2 years on i earn 120 a day with all of them which keeps me nice and busy along side my own bits :thumbup1:just gota grit you teeth and get in there to begin with and if any of the are good companys and you pull your weight etc etc then im sure they would pay a bit more :thumbup1: good luck

Welcome to the forum mate. I'd say £50 a day and you don't need insurance for what you're doing.

If as he says, he's a sole trader would'nt he have to pay tax on that and if so there would'nt be much left after travel to and from the job.

why dont you try and get some forestry work fella,theres lots out there at the moment due to the spreading p.ramourum disease in the larch.

i am self employed and a climber,but at the moment i sub for a local company for 4 days a week felling in the forestry and its good work,the rest of the time i carry out my own private work :thumbup:

Welcome to the forum mate. Best of luck with the job hunt, dont entertain £50 a day, anyone who is offering that is takin the P! £70 is a good startin point, £80 once you've proved your worth. It's worth going employed with a firm like fountains for a year or so to gain experience, or until something better comes up with another company. Its tough out there at the mo, as you'll see in the employment section.

Don't be put off though, someone will give you a start.