can u fix a crack in fuel tank?

shillo

ive tried araldite, that does not stick to that type of plastic

ive tried fibre glass, that just popped off to

ive tried clear silicone, that just swelled up inside the tank and dropped off.

the crack is small about 10mm, and directly opposite the filler hole so you can dribble adhesive on to the crack.

any other ideas?

There is a two part adhesive that is specifically designed for fixing leaking tanks - oddly enough called "tank fix" never tried it on plastic but it reckons it will bond to most surfaces.

I'd try repairig the outside rather than the inside, a bit of a rough up around the area with some wet and dry and then smooth a thin layer of whatever epoxy over it. won't look pretty but at least it's then got something to stick too rather than a shiny smooth surface.

EDIT: Dean beat me to it :biggrin:

ive tried araldite, that does not stick to that type of plastic

ive tried fibre glass, that just popped off to

ive tried clear silicone, that just swelled up inside the tank and dropped off.

the crack is small about 10mm, and directly opposite the filler hole so you can dribble adhesive on to the crack.

any other ideas?

What about trying to mend the crack by melting the plastic with a soldering iron. No idea if the plastic will melt but you could try it out first.

At least, you wouldn't have to require a "foreign" adhesive adhere to the plastic and withstand solvents (petrol).

I put my billhook through my fuel-can (wich admittedly is made of some different sort of plastic I think, but has to deal with much higher pressure) and managed to fix it with a combo heat and balertwine (the orange kind).

I first smeared over the crack with a red-hot knife (and later learned my wife would rather I didn't) and then kept melting balertwine on it, shaping it, melting, shaping etc until I was happy. This has worked just fine for two years now.