8 pin sproket for a husky 346xp

WoodED

whats the advantage??

iam a bit ignorent when it comes to different chain ,bar ,sprockets etc

is the any books on this subjects??

cheers carl

It's a good point - there are larger sprockets and rims for most chainsaws and I don't know any books or info on the subject.

I can see the principles in higher chain speed/lower torque etc and I've tried experimenting but it's hard to feel the difference. You'd almost want 2 identical chainsaws set up next to each other.

Used to gear saws up all the time years ago for thinning softwood.

Makes the world of difference.

Be careful though as the consequences of kickback are greater and your PPE (trousers, gloves and boots class[0,1,2,3,4]) might not stop the chain if you have an accident.

Oregon do 95VPX which is a .325 .050 chain but with narrower kerf.

You can get the Oregon pro lite bars to run the above (making sure the bar guage is .050 not .058) and it cuts fast!

not on mine, Jonesie's has done them so they just have a extra gap between two cutters, if you had an extra 2 or 3 drive links then you would end up with two cutters on the same side

I should also add mine is on narrow kerf chain so its not cutting so much timber, thus requiring less tourque

EDIT: on a 8pin sprocket i wouldnt add two drive links, one is sufficent

What kerf is that? I tend to think in 75, 73, 72 terms...

Edit: 1.3 or 1.5 terms. Stihl sticks to 1.6 doesn't it?

Just looked at oregon site - can't get full chisel chain for narrow kerf bar tho :001_rolleyes:

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

i like the sound of the narrower kerf bar makes sense as i feel that with an 18" bar its a little saw revin its way through a big piece of wood!

would i need a different sprocket for a narrower kerf bar?? as i plan to use both the narrow 18" and stock 15" through out the day and could be a pain to change the sprocket too

cheers carl

What kerf is that? I tend to think in 75, 73, 72 terms...

Edit: 1.3 or 1.5 terms. Stihl sticks to 1.6 doesn't it?

Just looked at oregon site - can't get full chisel chain for narrow kerf bar tho :001_rolleyes:

0.043 is 1.1mm (this is the really naff stuff stihl stick on polesaws, ms192 and ms170s)

0.050 is 1.3mm

0.058 is 1.5

0.063 is 1.6

i like the sound of the narrower kerf bar makes sense as i feel that with an 18" bar its a little saw revin its way through a big piece of wood!

would i need a different sprocket for a narrower kerf bar?? as i plan to use both the narrow 18" and stock 15" through out the day and could be a pain to change the sprocket too

cheers carl

The gauge of the chain has no bearing on the sprocket or rim if your using a rim drive, so you could swap, the one thing i will stress is make sure that your chain supplier is selling you the true narrow kerf chain like 95vpx, not just an 0.050 gauge chain as this wont work as well, as the cutters on the true narrow kerf chain are narrower

i am planning on getting a narrow kerf to handy to know about the felling bar

no probs, tbh i normally use wedges on stuff that i cant push up a bit by hand anyway, i have had to make a second smaller cut in the backcut on a couple of occasions for some that had slight back leans on them, but its not a major problem, just handy to be aware of it